1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 reads games but not SMD or DVD-R movies Help!!

Discussion in 'PS2' started by im_etten1, Sep 17, 2004.

1. im_etten1

im_etten1 Member

I have a v4 PS2 I have put in a plug & play mod chip for a friend. They used it for about 3 months and the laser quit working. I bought a new KHS-400C laser to replace the old KHS-400B laser. The "C" laser works great for Original PS2 games both DVD & CD based. Here is my problem, I can't get tehe PS2 to read SMD or a movied burned to a DVD-R. I have plenty of good DVD-R movies burned on Ritek media. I have watched these movies and they won't play. The SMD has been working fine, and now, the DVD spins faser than normal and it just stops reading the disc. Any ideas?? I am puzzled... this is a brand new laser... it works, but only on original discs... Thanks...

2. zxspeky

zxspeky Regular member

some lasers won't read dvd movie backups at all, but it may be that the laser needs to be set up, if it came without the little black screw in the arm and you had to use your old one you may have set it wrong, or it may be the laser angle that needs adjusting, follow the link in my sig', there is a repair guide in the downloads section that will show you how to do both

3. im_etten1

im_etten1 Member

Does the little screw on the left rail make that big of a difference? The laser came adjusted, all I did was put it in and it worked. I didn't have to adjust teh white gear or anything. But of course my problem is that it does not play burned DVD-R movies or SMD.

4. zxspeky

zxspeky Regular member

the screw does make a difference, it should be set up ok if it came with the screw in allready, but you never know, and sometimes you still need to adjust the laser angle, like I said download the repair guide, and follow the instructions in that 'till you get it to work, if it still won't read the discs you may have been sold a recon'd laser that has just had the pots adjusted