1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ps2 repair

Discussion in 'PS2' started by fjr122, Dec 8, 2004.

1. fjr122

fjr122 Member

Hey everyone, I am new to these forums and mainly joined cause someone gave me a ps2 to fix and that got me interested in fixing them for money. :p

The one he gave me isnt working just yet though...
    I took it apart and the dvd drive was missing something so I bought a new one from ebay not realizing it didnt include a laser. So i put in a whole new dvd drive aside from the laser..... here's what it's doing now
    1.When I turn it on it crashes the read laser into the spindle motor and starts clicking and doesnt stop till I hit the eject button.
    2. Then it succesfully lowers the dvd assembly and ejects the drawer, then I close the door.
    3. The assembly raises back up and the laser tracks into the center of the disk (towards the motor) the spindle spins about two turns (rather quickly) and then the laser tries to do it's thing (raising/lowering the lense), through all this the laser stays at the inner edge of the disk.
    4. The dvd gives up, the browser never changes, no DRE's or anything at all, it's like there is no disk loaded.

I was wondering what this might be and my repeated internet searches didnt really turn up anything...

So I was hoping you PS2 mavens could help me...please?

Thank you all for your time, in advance

--Josh

Last edited: Dec 8, 2004
  2. fjr122

fjr122 Member

So no one wants to take a second and help me out?
    Maybe someone wouldnt mind linking me to a forum that answers questions, or maybe I put it in the wrong afterdawn forum?

if anyone does wanna take a second I would also like to ask if the repair guide available online is actually any good?

3. billz

billz Active member

well, the best advice i can come up with adjust the cog wheel(white wheel underneath cd/dvd drive)
    But if that don't work try
    ps2ownz.com and ps2newz.net

4. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

5. kgray

kgray Member

search for a guide on google that is a good idea.

6. fjr122

fjr122 Member

Thanks for the help guys, those links are definitely going to help.

I guess the real issue is why the spindle would only come on for a second...and why two different spindle units would both do the same thing...