1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ps2 scratching disks

Discussion in 'PS2' started by ninja_nip, Aug 25, 2004.

1. ninja_nip

ninja_nip Member

I have a v7 with a majic V, with some issues I am still trying to work out. Anyway, one of them is that my disks are all getting a ring on them. I was searching around, and was going to bring up one of the older posts but I'm still a newb. There was alot of speculation that the laser was going too high, but only one reply that suggested why. He said he had that problem, and that it was caused by a "bounce" in one of the wires. WTF is that supposed to mean?

I don't know but does anybody have any info on this issue? Please.

tia
    nips

2. Ender88

Ender88 Regular member

I had tat problem on media that my ps2 couldnt read. I put it on a different brand and it worked fine.

3. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

who ever modded you ps2 you should take it back and tell them to re-adjust your laser since its scratching your games. I know that when the laser is trying to read a backup the reflectivity rate is less than an original, so in other words the laser works harder and has to be moved closer to read the backup disc.

Thats what can be causing scratches.

Correct me if Im wrong.

4. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

no... you got it right....

this will damage the lens itself aswell since it reaching the surface from what i see... todays lens aint made out of glass to bad tho it would work longer...

another way to this to happen is the magnet dosent hold the white holder.... this causes to imbalance in the spin and the disc just hits the metal of the lens itself...

wither way you might want to check the ps2.......

5. ninja_nip

ninja_nip Member

Good theories, but it is also happening on original ps1 and 2 disks. So, I don't buy the reflectivity thing. I understand it is probably the lense, which I can only hope isn't f-ed. This makes me think it's my chip, or more correctly my soldering.

I did the chip myself, which is why I'm looking here for help. I WAS pretty confident with my soldering. I tested for solder bridging where I thought I could. Then I read the guys post about the bump, or whatever. Could the source of the problem be the laser control wires(which if I am not mistaken are the 5 on the back side of the m-board).

I'm thinking cross talk, or power arcing. Does that sound crazy?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2004
  6. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

try removing the chip..... that should help lol

7. ninja_nip

ninja_nip Member

lol, it might, but...it would cause another problem. My backups wouldn't work then.