1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ps2 shuts down and red light flashes.

Discussion in 'PS2' started by bigboneli, Apr 11, 2005.

1. bigboneli

bigboneli Guest

hi guys, got a dinger here, and think it's prolly hardware, not software or chip related. after about 5 minutes of play on any cd/dvd, the machine just shuts down and the power light flashes on and off repeatedly (red) ...just started doing it this weekend. didn't care when it happened to the wife, but when i tried to play something tonight, it was enough for me to ask ;) hehehehe i don't know if it's overheating or what, i do notice that the big fan in the back isn't/wasn't spinning, dunno if it's constant or when a temp. trips it on. soze if anyone knows if it's always supposed to spin....heat MIGHT be the problem...but after only 5 minutes? it's got a dms3, think it's a v9, and problem happens on both cd's and dvd's. any help appreciated, thanks
    bb

2. shawn62

shawn62 Member

well im kinda a noob but im almost positive that its overheating and the fan is supose to be runing all the time well at least it does in my v7. Ive never had an overheating problem but if I were you I would be checking to see if something is wrong with the fan

3. Mufc_Rule

Mufc_Rule Regular member

This happened on ym old PS2 and it is an overheating problem.
    A bit of fan had broken off meaning it couldnt spin round. therefore had to open PS2 tot ake broke bit out. Yours is probably a diff problem but it is overheating

4. bigboneli

bigboneli Guest

yar, my fan in the back doesn't spin at all, and i honestly don't remember ever checking if it did since new (funny how problems make you check stuff out) ...soze, if you say it should always be spinning, i guess i'm in the market for a new fan...thanks folks

5. as2amann

as2amann Member

I have this same problem, But I replaced my fan with what I think is a good fan. Is there any other reason why the fan won't work. I have a mod chip in it??
    Thanks

6. bigboneli

bigboneli Guest

I took apart the ps2 and removed the fan while waiting for a replacement. In boredom, I hooked up a 7.5v adapter i had to it (gawd, that plug is small) and it started to spin. Soze I thought it was a mobo problem. Put it all back together, because my tech. friend still hasn't shown up with the new fan, and it works fine now. Go figger. Mighta been a flat spot or summit, dunno. If you have a multi adapter, set it to 7.5 and see if you can 'kick start' your old fan or the new one to see if one/both are dead. If not, yer board 'may' be toast?

7. as2amann

as2amann Member

I took your advise and took the fan out, but I had no 7.5v adapter
    So i used a 9v battery and the fan spun without a problem.. So I put it back in but I did not have the same luck as you. The fan still does not run. I am currently trying to figure out a way to rig the fan so it works... Do you know what voltage the fan is rated at. If you have any ideas to fix this problem please let me know I am very open to any opinions...Thanxxxx

8. Krystovar

Krystovar Regular member

The fan is an 8.5 volt fan.

You might have the same problem as me. I accidentally broke the fan connector on the mobo when trying to plug it back in. That connector is very small and very fragile (at least it is on my V10).

I was going to try and rig a way to run the fan with a 9-volt battery, but I've also ordered a USB fan that plugs in the front of the system. You think theis will cool it enough on its own?

9. Krystovar

Krystovar Regular member

The little USB fan that mounts onto the front was not strong enough to keep my PS2 from overheating.

So I ended up wiring the case fan to a USB cable, and attaching that to the USB port on the front.

Here's a tutorial on how I did it: http://www.bradnkristy.com/PS2fan/