1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 slim 70012 with SwapMagic 3.3 and Magic Switch

Discussion in 'PS2 - Software boot discussion' started by ajf3ajf3, Mar 29, 2005.

1. ajf3ajf3

ajf3ajf3 Member

Hey all -

Found a huge amount of info here (thanks!). Just got the slim 70012 PS2 and from all my reading it seems like SM3.3 and the Magic Switch is the way to go for me.

Couple of questions I didn't find answers to though, before I take the plunge.

1. Can I play non-backup (original) game discs with the Magic Switch installed, or do I need to remove it every time?

2. Will 2 or 3 disc game backups work with SM3.3 and the magic switch?

Thanks!

2. pretense

pretense Regular member

What the switch (and every other swap-solution) does is depress the two lid sensors to make the PStwo think it is closed. So every game that works with the PStwo closed will work with the magic swatch (including originals). So...

1. Yes, no need to remove it.

2. Yes, but you can't swap one disc out for another. That is, say you want to play Star Ocean: Till the End of Time; you'll need to resume your progress by saving at the end of disc 1, then shutting down and rebooting from disc 2 to resume your game progress from the save file. Something that requires an in-game swap (such as if you're trying to "remix" Samurai Warrriors in the expansion, Xtreme Legends) won't work, because the disc keeps spinning (PStwo thinks it's still closed).

I don't know any three-disc games, you'll have to provide an example.

3. Sykotik

Sykotik Guest

hey do the swap magic 3.3 work on the new ps2 slim does it run japanese games i got INITIAL D SPECIAL STAGE jap
    i wonder should i buy swap magic

4. l3uster2

l3uster2 Guest

I'm still looking for a GOODwed site that i can order from can't seen to find one i've tryed 2 already i live in usa all i find are over seas and idea where i can get one local....

5. mbenoit

mbenoit Guest

I'm still looking for a GOODwed site that i can order from can't seen to find one i've tryed 2 already i live in usa all i find are over seas and idea where i can get one local....

try here(located in U.S.): http://www.saveware.com/p628.htm
    Toll Free Phone - Sales Orders and Product Information Only:
    Don Rieb Phone: 1-800-401-5180
    ask about the Ghost switch"- better an easier to install than "magic switch"- check it out here: http://www.saveware.com/GhostSwitchInstall.htm

6. pretense

pretense Regular member

Yes, Japanese games work fine with the Swap Magic set. But if you have a PAL Swap Magic set and PAL console, you'll have to change the video mode to NTSC, since Japanese games are NTSC.

If I may add a few unsolicited comments...

Don't get *any* sort of switch set, ghost or magic. I'll admit that I haven't tried installing either, and therefore have no experience with them, but...

1) The magic switch works, but seems fairly dumb because you have to leave your lid open all the time. Trust me on this, dust and electronics don't mix.

2) The ghost switch is fairly stupid (if I may call it that) because it still requires you to open your console (thereby possibly voiding your warranty) and, what's worse, requires you to cut off a tab in order to close the console, voiding your warranty for certain! If that's not stupid, I don't know what is ;) If you're going to open your console anyway, just do a tape mod to the back sensor (and tissue the front sensor) and save yourself the money. You won't have to cut off a tab either, which is possibly the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of.

The best "switch/plug" solution seems to be the slim tool set, whose only problem seems to be an annoyance installing the hinge (back sensor) plug that some users have experienced. When it works, it doesn't require any opening of the console or cutting off of tabs; moreoever, you can keep your console shut. Either get the slim tool (no violation of warranty), or a (ugly) fliptop ps2lid.

7. mbenoit

mbenoit Guest

take it easy there pretense. didnt mean to ruffle your feathers. I was only suggesting an alternative solution in case the magic switch didnt work out.(only about 4 or 5 bucks with shipping) and by the way I did install the ghost switch, which was very easy to do(took me about 15 minutes)and works perfectly. I also only saw one way the warranty might be voided if you look a little closer at the instructions(anyone can see,right). The sticker(seal) does not need to be broken if you follow the directions. The tab on th inside of the unit is only cut to make reassembly easier(does not have to be cut) The only tab that needs to be cut, is the one on the lid which could possibly void the warranty. And besides, the warranty is only 90 days (not 5 years or anything!)
    I would guess that most people looking into modding their PS2 is not too worried about this and if they are theres always your trusty "tape and toilet tissue" mod. anyway, good luck

8. pretense

pretense Regular member

9. mbenoit

mbenoit Guest

OK, you got me on the warranty thing