1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 slim and fat

Discussion in 'PS2' started by redneckab, Mar 17, 2007.

1. redneckab

redneckab Member

I have both a slim v12 and a fat older ps2 not sure the version.

What I would like to do is install a hdd on both I have done alot of research on this site and other sites now some say with a hdd there is no need for a modchip but on the other side of the coin there are others that say you still need a modchip.For the slim Ps2 I was thinking of going with the hdcombo unless it can be done with an external.
    So with an HDD is a modchip still required and if so what would be the best alternative for a modchip(I am looking for as little soldering as possible)

TIA

2. simmo2302

simmo2302 Regular member

slim ps2 has to use external hdd, as there is no expansion bay for a internal one.

fat ps2 can have an ide hdd connected via ps2 network adapter.

slim ps2 has to have a usb hdd connected via usb port, or has to have a ide hdd in a usb enclosure. making sure that either usb option is usb v1.1 compatible not just 2.0.

as for the program to use, i cant remember if there is 1 for both applictions (just woke up so memory is still a bit fuzzy)

you may have to use usbadvance/extreme for slim
    any hdcombo or hdadvance for fat.

just read up on the applications and see which ones support usb, u may get lucky and find 1 program that supports both.

hope this helps

3. simmo2302

simmo2302 Regular member

oh, and yes a modchip is the easier way.

otherwise u have to load of a retail disc like swap magic, etc and either swap discs to the program that will use which ever hdd u r using or will load the elf that will do the same.

4. neil0337

neil0337 Regular member

the slim ps2 will require external hdd and internal hdd for fat ps2.i dont like mod so i keep internal hdd easier to use.store all my games in one place....