1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 slim hard drives

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by parso1974, Jul 9, 2005.

1. parso1974

parso1974 Guest

I am thinking about getting a hard drive for my PS2 Slim to play back up games. Are these any better than using Swap Magic discs. I allready have 3.3 but have had some problems with copying certain games.
    What does it invole setting a HD up and will they any games.

2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. p4_tt

p4_tt Active member

You will need a USB hdd and USB extreme, i find using a hdd is better than swap magic but I’ve heard that the USB ones tend to be slower than hdd's in older ps2's. Most games work better on the hdd but there a just as many problems with some games as there is with Swap Magic and USB extreme does not support dvd9 games such as gt4 or GoW. Also putting games on the USB hdd is easy if you use WinHIP.

4. sked_142

sked_142 Member

I just got Swap Magic v3.6 on the understanding that it could be used with a HDD as well. I haven't managed to get this to work right though. I find it extremely hard to find a full set of instructions to get it all working, but I have read that it supports HDD's.

Also, you mentioned WinHIP. What is this? A ripping program?

5. p4_tt

p4_tt Active member

No WinHIP is a program that allows windows to read the ps2 formatted hdd and can transfer images from and to the ps2 hdd.

6. sked_142

sked_142 Member

Thanks for the tip about WinHIP, I did a little bit of googling, and found out that it's a pretty well liked program for the most part, but I can't, for the life of me, find a place to download it. Might I tap your endless archive of answers once more?

7. p4_tt

p4_tt Active member

You need to sign up to this site but it worth it as it has lots of ps2 tools that you may find handy,

http://www.ps2source.net/

8. sked_142

sked_142 Member

Man, thanks a lot for that link! If I'd have known of all the stuff on there, I wouldn't have wasted my time modding the crap out of my playstation...at least I would have been able to cut back on the money I spent on mods that were too tricky for my feeble dexterity. Not to mention the Memory card alternative to having swap magic! That could've saved me big. Thanks!

9. p4_tt

p4_tt Active member

Only thing you have to remember is exploits do not work with the slim ps2's only the older bigger models.

10. sg320

sg320 Member

i have a 60G ipod do u think i could use that as an external hdd for my ps2

11. key6063

key6063 Guest

where do u download winhiip?

12. Real1

Real1 Member

This is probably old news to most of u guys but I recently had this installed on my slim ps2 http://www.modchip.ca/store/product.php?productid=16252&cat=268&page=1 This allowed me to connect my $ony HDD to my slim and play the new socom2 maps online. No more need for usb hard drives....they ($ony) should have come up with something like this on their own.

13. JagMan

JagMan Regular member

@real1 so all u need is the think on the website u give us to have a hard drive in the slime ps2

srry if my english is bad

14. jay1234

jay1234 Member

Hi there i just bought a ps2 and it the new slim and i want to get a usb hard drive for it and i got some quastions

Can u just go out and buy a usb hard drive and what softwere do u need to boot up your backup games do u need to go out and buy softwere i have no ideo about this and umm my ps2 is the one that just came out the new slim if some one has time can they tell me what i need to do

thanks

15. Real1

Real1 Member

USB ADVANCE is what I have used in the past and it worked fine......and yes, I have a slim ps2, had these guys install this adapter and connected my $ony HDD right up....so sweet....now I just need some way to add on a cooling fan and I'll be in business.

16. jay1234

jay1234 Member

so dod i just go buy any usb hard drive and what program do i buy or download

17. jay1234

jay1234 Member

ok i have bought the usb hard disk now what do i need to get to put game on it and play them off my ps2 slim

18. JagMan

JagMan Regular member

if i have a chip on my slim ps2 can i still get a hdd hard drive

19. Xmodds

Xmodds Regular member

yes but you need hd connect

20. JagMan

JagMan Regular member

oh kk so if i get the hd connect then get the hard drive does that mean i can play ffx1 online

21. cossieuk

cossieuk Member

I have found USB Extreme not to be as good as HD Advance, because HD Advance only works on the bigger style ps2 so if you have the choice go for this because it's compatiblility is far better. Check out http://www.estormuk.com/html/ps2_hard_drive_kit.html I found them to be really good, and always have stock, and no delivery charge.