1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 Slim - Loud Disk-Reading Noise (NOT CLICKING/DRE)

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Girdot, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Girdot

Girdot Guest

I recently bought a used ps2 slim and it reads discs great, but it makes really loud noises while reading discs. The noises only happen when the laser is moving. It makes a pretty loud whirring sound, like an old printer. The warranty is already voided and I'm not afraid to open 'er up. Anyone got any ideas?

Also, some black gunk has accumulated on a spring looking thing inside my ps2 that runs parallel to the laser rails. I'm assuming it's lubricant of some sort, but it looks really fuzzy. I got a little on my finger and it stained it. What is this stuff? Can I safely wash it off?

Thanks in advance.

2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. Girdot

Girdot Guest

Thanks for the help! Now I'm trying to remove the rail but its locked in by these little tiny tabs. The tabs can be removed, as they're screwed in, but the screw is mega-tiny. Smaller than the smallest phillips I have (the one used to unscrew the flip top lid on the top part of the ps2). I don't even think I can buy a phillips that small where I live. How the heck do you get it off?

Thanks in advance.

4. Girdot

Girdot Guest

Well I lubed the rail the best I could without taking it out and it's virtually silent now.

It's funny, because I took it to a repair shop and they told me that I needed to buy a 65 dollar laser assembly...and I'm like "I think it's just the lube on the rail." and the guy looked me right in the eye and told me "There isn't supposed to be lube on the rail."

I'm tempted to go back in there and show him how silent it is now.