1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 Slim making noises, laser working, disc spinner not

Discussion in 'PS2' started by vickers, Aug 7, 2014.

1. vickers

vickers Member

So my dad picked up a ps2 slim from a garage sale for a buck, the guy who sold it to him claimed it worked sometimes, but not all the time. I put in the power cords and tested it and this was pretty much the case, the game would start to load and even got to the menu screen, but it took a long time and it skipped a little bit and was slow, and the disc makes this noise while in the drive, like it starts to speed up, then kind of stops, then starts to speed up again.

So I took it apart to try and see if there was anything wrong with it. Aside from a dead spider who made it's nest around the cooler (which I cleaned off), there doesn't seem to be much wrong with it that's apparent, it's fairly clean. Anyways, I tried the little trick where you hold both of the clips to get the drive to spin while the cover (the entire top part) is off, while the ps2 is opened, and it started booting the game, though I only hold my hands there for about a minute until I saw the screen show the "square enix" logo of the demo disc I was testing, it was clear it was about to boot up, so I'm pretty sure it's not the laser (though I have cleaned the lens with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol), but as I said, I pretty much only let it go to the logo.

I'm kind of stuck here, so I'm asking you guys for help. And the little gold motor spinny thing is in place, it hasn't fallen out of it's bearing, been looking at articles and youtube videos on how to fix it, been at it for about 2 hours but still no luck. It's almost as if there's something about the top plastic case itself that's causing a problem, but I can't be certain.

So what do you guys think is wrong, and can it be fixed?

edit: Also, I was the first to break the warranty seal, so this hasn't been tampered with prior to me opening it. And when I kept the disc in there for a little while, I can hear a high pitched sound a few times.

2. vickers

vickers Member

Apologies, but I figured out the problem and have found a temporary fix.

Apparently, when you open the ps2 LID, there's a little black piece that moves left and right when you push on it, it's a black piece that holds a tiny bit of what I assume is a white, rubbery rectangular substance. On my working ps2 slim, the white rubber rectangle is flat and smooth. On the previously broken one, the white rubber rectangle has an indentation from where the disc was spinning and wore down some of the rubber, creating an indentation from which the disc presumably faces resistance from it. I simply taped the black piece with the white rubber all the way to the right so it had no chance of interfering with the disc, and now the ps2 boots up games like a charm.

Sorry to have potentially wasted some of whoever read this posts time, but hopefully this will help someone trying to google this issue in the future.

Actually I'll just go ahead and ask a question to make this topic less of a waste: can I simply unscrew and remove that black/white piece all together? Is it necessary that it be in there, or is it just kind of a safety precaution for the discs in case they somehow come off of the spinner while it's on and keeps them in place?

3. DOS_equis

DOS_equis Member

The little arm that rubs on the side of the disc is a disc brake to make it quicker to get the disc out when you open the PS2 door without damaging the spindle or the disc as it spins down. If it's interfering with the disc spinning you can disable it like you did without any worries IMO. I don't think there is any switch included in its operation. It's just there to stop the disc. Usually the lasers get weak in those and make them slow to load a game or not read a game/ DVD movie disc at all. The "new" lasers found on the net a Chinese clones so you have to do a ton of research to find a vendor that has decent ones available that will last. You also have to unbridge a static protection spot on the laser flex ribbon before use. It takes a solder iron and a few seconds of your time after it's warmed up. Some vendors will have this part done for you but I would prefer to do it myself in case some static charge builds up during transit or when you remove it from it's packaging. I got mine for my daughter's PS2 slim from this guy on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/usr/ep-game-supply?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

She hasn't used it a bunch but it seemed to work right away and is still working to my knowledge. You might want to get some white lithium grease packaged in a tube from a local auto parts store so you can clean and re-lube the laser helix drive shaft (screw-like shaft that moves the laser). Just use rubbing alcohol on a Qtip to clean the gunk off of it and wipe some new grease on with your finger as you spin the shaft. Don't over do the grease. It just needs a light coating on there to work. It doesn't see much heavy duty action anyway.