1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ps2 slim mods and a couple of questions

Discussion in 'PS2' started by swee, Feb 2, 2005.

1. swee

swee Guest

ive got a slim ps2 bought it when it a week or so after it came out ( about the same time GTA SA came out im not sure around oct-nov) and been playing it GTA like crap and my laser hasnt burned out.

from what i know the laser is pretty crappy it will die after a mod is installed (in some even without).

im tinking about modding my ps2 since ive got a brand new dvd burner could anyone please give me some advice or the swap solutions are a better choice?

i live in perth(aus) so anyone recommend me a place to do this i cant open my ps2 lol

thx in advance

btw the ps2/pstwo gets fricking hot even after less than an hour wtf?

2. pretense

pretense Regular member

That sounds kinda shady; was your PStwo always that hot? From what I can tell, my new PStwo (date code 5A, only a couple of weeks old) stays at the same low temperature whether I'm playing music, DVDs, or games (originals), or just leaving it on.

If you are worries about your laser, you should probably get someone to install a modchip + diode fix for you, though even the fixes aren't guaranteed. If you want to "do it yourself" without opening the case, you can order one of the magic switch or slim tool sets with a pair of swap magic discs. Your laser will still be in jeopardy since backups run hotter supposedly, from what I hear. But on the plus side, if it does burn out, you can send it in to Sony for a replacement (and most likely a newer model) since your warranty will still be valid.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2005
  3. swee

swee Guest

lol the big problem is that ive lost all the documents and paperstuff that i got the ps2 with when i threw the box away (dumbass). it would probably mean i still wont get the warranty right?

4. pretense

pretense Regular member

Hmm. On the limited warranty page of the manual, it *does* say that a "proof of purchase in the form of a bill of sale or receipted invoice which is evidence that the unit is within the warranty period must be presented to optain warranty service," but I'm sure you can come to terms with Sony over it if you lost the receipt. After all, the warranty explicitly says that the console "shall be free from defects in material and workmanship for a period of one (1) year from the date of purchase," and the PStwos only just came out in last November or so... meaning your warranty would carry through until the coming November at the very least. So they should fix any console breakdown before that time, since it would clearly fall within the one year warranty period.