1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 slim (or unslim) - Can laser read DVD+R discs?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by rdn98, Jul 5, 2007.

1. rdn98

rdn98 Regular member

Hi all, I wanted to know that can the ps2 be able to read dvd+r discs? If not, why not? I checked some specs and it says that the ps2 can read dvd+r discs, but in terms of game backup, everyone here basically says use DVD-R.

So the laser can't read DVD+R copied games?

2. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

The very old PS2s might have trouble playing DVD+Rs but for every other PS2, DVD+Rs would most likely work. As far as performance go, the laser runs smoother and has better compatibility and readability when reading DVD-R rather than DVD+R for the fat PS2s and the early slim PS2s. If you have the recent v15 silver slim PS2 like mine, it's very peculiar about DVD-R so I had to switch to DVD+R in order to get my backups to work. And besides, quality DVD-Rs are much cheaper then buying DVD+Rs if you don't have much money to spend. Regardless, you could probably switch to DVD+R if your PS2 has trouble playing DVD-R, but most likely, unless you use either bad quality DVD-R media brands like Memorex or Fujifilm (of course, depending on their media IDs) or have a recent silver slim PS2 like in my scenario, then by all means DVD-R should work, and quite frankly, much better than using a DVD+R.