1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 SlimeLine & SwapMagic

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by miglo, Jan 10, 2007.

1. miglo

miglo Member

I just joined. Therefore, am very new to all this process of Burning Games. I'm trying to burn PS2 DVD Games to use on my PS2 Slimeline Model SCPH-77001. What I'm unsure about is, which version of swapmagic should I purchase so it will be compatible with my PS2 Model? Also, do I need to purchase anything else (e.g. slidecard, fliptop, etc., etc.) to play the games once burned in conjunction to the swapmagic Disc?.

I believe I have the burning process down, through reading different threads.

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to answer.

2. steimy

steimy Active member

any version of swap magic should work.
    and yes you will need either a set of magic keys or an aftermarket fliptop to use with Swap Magic
    just make sure you get the magic keys or fliptop that is for you version PS2 (i think your is a V15)
    and make sure you buy quality DVD's in order to make good
    working back ups. I suggest 8X DVD-R
    Taiyo Yuden if you can buy online (supermediastore.com)
    And do not by the white top printable type.
    The silver laquer type work great.

3. Amanda916

Amanda916 Member

I just installed Magic Keys 2 and Swap Magic 3.6 Plus on my Silver slim v15 version. Get the 3.6 Plus version if you can and make sure you get the correct Magic Keys for your PS2 version if it is v15, which I think it is for mine is also model Scph-77001) ). There is a newer version called 3.8 Coder, but from reading the board here, that version has some bugs in it. You will also need to find out what type of DVD disc you DVD burner can read. I bought a bunch of verbatim and TY DVD-R as recommended here and found out my DVD burner only write DVD+D. I use Sony and Maxell DVD-R on my burner and all the games I burned so far work beautfifully. Look at the front of your DVD burner, there should be print there that tells you if it is DVD+Rewritable with dual layer or not. If you see that, get DVD+R discs. You will also need to download DVD Decrypter (I got mine from Google)to rip and burn the PS2 games. Most PS2 games can burned and work with Magic Swap, except for dual layer games which a newbie like me don't even want to touch. You need the correct mod chip installed in your console to play dual layer back up games.
    For your information, you actually don't need the Magic Keys. There are different methods and homemade materials you can use to substitute for the keys. After installing the magic keys on mine, I kept thinking that there should be a way to install key #3 so that the lid can be closed while you play the back up games, and I did came up with a solution. See my post on "Solution for Installing Key #3 on V15 PS2". Now I can play my back up games with the lid close. If you installed key #3 on it, there is no way the lid can be close, just to let you know.
    This is a great site. You can find almost anything you need help on electronics. I read a lot here and have learned a lot from it.