1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 Slimline guide: external USB hard drive & game playing (NO CHIP REQ'D)

Discussion in 'PS2' started by MasterChu, May 30, 2006.

1. MasterChu

MasterChu Guest

Moving to Langjökull in Iceland - so all the info I posted is moving with me!
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2007
  2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

Great guide MasterChu, gonna go get an external HDD today and try this out!!!
  4. Ace_2

Ace_2 Regular member

This should help me out(with a chip, though) to format and boot games off a USB hard drive when my PlayStation 2's laser craps out.

Hey, thanks for paying some attention to my work. It makes me proud of what I have done for the PlayStation 2 software modding community(for which I will unfortunately retire from when I get a DMS4 SE Lite in my console). But, man, I haven't got this much attention since when I was maybe in high school.
  5. duke69111

duke69111 Guest

You can also use swap magic 3.6 to open the usb advance file.

- Create a folder on your memory stick labeled SWAPMAGIC
    - Then rename the usbadvn.elf file to SWAPMAGIC.elf and place it in the SWAPMAGIC folder on the memory stick.
    - Then place your memory stick into the ps2 slim usb port and start swap magic 3.6.
    - USB Advance should load automatically.
    - Then plug in your external hard drive with games and it should show the games on the left side of the screen

I got this to work on mine and I have a PS2 Slim v12.

Hope this helps as it is an alternative to action replay max for loading usbadvance.

If anybody else tries this, Let me know how it works out.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2006
  6. MasterChu

MasterChu Guest

7. duke69111

duke69111 Guest

The problem I had was after I pluged in my hard drive to my ps2 it never detected my hard drive with the games on it.

Any Ideas?

Thanks
  8. MasterChu

MasterChu Guest

9. duke69111

duke69111 Guest

I used step two of your tutorial for formating the hard drive and WinHIIP for transfering the games to the hard drive. I read the help files but was kind of confused.

Do you know where I can find a detailed tutorial on how to use WinHIIP to transfer the games. That might of been my problem.

Thanks
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2006
  10. MasterChu

MasterChu Guest

11. duke69111

duke69111 Guest

I tried it again and still could not get it to recongnize my hard drive.

Thats ok though, I can just do the DNAS Swap trick and get most of them to work on a ntfs formated hard drive with usb advance.

Thanks for your help,

Duke69111
  12. 1maxxfan

1maxxfan Member

Hi Master Chu,

I saw your comment on being a mac user. Any ideas on how to get the PS2 to see the hard drive, (using PC) I did all the other steps with great success to this point. Then at that critical moment it refuses to see the HDD. Tried going thru those steps again but alas no luck yet.
    Or what's that trick Duke69111?

Thanks!
  13. 1maxxfan

1maxxfan Member

and now i can't get the max replay to see the usbadvance elf file anymore? what gives?
    any ideas?
  14. duke69111

duke69111 Guest

I don't know anything about max replay, I use usb advance free edition and swap magic 3.6.

USB Advance Free Edition & USB Extreme links - http://www.sksapps.com/index.php?page=hd.html

1 - Follow this Tutorial to format hard drive and put games on hard drive - http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/189177

Use these two awesome guides to do the dnas swap trick before putting games on hard drive to get most dnas games working with usb advance.

2 - This is the how to swap the DNAS images http://uk.geocities.com/bryce_v_s/tutorial.zip courtesy of bryce_v_s

3 - This is the guide for step 4 chapter 3 of how to swap. http://www.exploitstation.com/articles/cdvdgen inst.php courtesy of exploitstation.com

You can complete step 5 and skip 6 if you use tutorial 2 and use usbextreme instead of the second part of step seven of the 2nd tutorial.

I have tried six games with this method and all six have worked successfully. When you actually load the game with swap magic and usb advance from your hard drive it may take up to a minute to actually load the game ( Blank Black Screen), just be patient.

Good Luck

15. 1maxxfan

1maxxfan Member

Thanks duke...ok let me take one step back and ask you how do you use the usb advance? any info on how to do that step will help a lot. I had it running via chu's method above, except the hdd recognition. sounds like we had the same problem. now I can't even get that far.
    thx again.
  16. duke69111

duke69111 Guest

Are you using max replay or Swap Magic?

If you are usings max replay, I am not sure, but I am thinking that you could use MasterChu's way, but you would have to copy the USBADVN.ELF file onto the external hardrive with your games, and have the the harddrive plugged into the ps2 before you start it up. This means that there would be no memory stick needed.

If you are by chance using swap magic let me know and I will give you directions from their.

Try this and let me know.
  17. MasterChu

MasterChu Guest

18. lanewbie

lanewbie Guest

19. duke69111

duke69111 Guest

lanewbie,

If you are going to spend the money, Personally I think you should get the latest edition of Swap Magic, This will allow you to play back up copies on DVD-R + run usbadvance from a external harddrive. There are some programs out there that can play mp3 and movies through swap magic. I am also able to play roms from some older systems like the snes.

But if you are wanting all of the additional features like codes, MP3 music, MPEG movies and even retro games then you should probably go with Datel Action Replay MAX EVO Edition but you will not be able to play back up copies that are burned on DVD-r.

Anyways either copy of the action replay should work. Under step one of MasterChu's tutorial he has listed that he uses:

- Action Replay MAX for PS2

But you are more than welcome to wait for a response from MasterChu.

I looked on a few sites and I think you can get Action Replay Max cheaper on other sites. buy.com currently has Action Replay Max Evo Edition for 34.99.

Good luck
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2006
  20. lanewbie

lanewbie Guest

thank u so much but i think i will wait for MasterChu's just to make sure which one because im confused but u were a great help thank you very much
  21. hawkps2

hawkps2 Member

Hello

Thanks for a nice and simple guide for PS2 slim versions

Can you please tell me

I was unable to find Action replay max CD at my area (India)

Can you tell me if I can download it from some place or any alternative ?

Thanks for your help