1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 - Slowly degrading DVD/gameplay preformance

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Woeiston, May 27, 2007.

1. Woeiston

Woeiston Member

I've modded my slimline PS2 over two years ago, using instructions found on this forum. This mod does however involve leaving the PS2's cd-tray open during gameplay, in order to switch from the loader DVD to the game DVD.

It has worked fine until recently, when load times were beginning to increase dramatically. In Pro Evolution Soccer, the game I play the most, there are increasingly large moments where the game freezes and the disc is spinning intensely, even during the match, making the game unplayable. The same problem occurs in other games, so I doubt it's due to the media I'm using. Official DVDs' don't play well either.

Does anyone have any experience with this, and would this problem still be an issue if I hook up an external HDD to the PS2?

2. ps2wizz

ps2wizz Regular member

sounds like you have laser problems. Running the ps2 open for 2 years i guess would pull in a lot of dust. Try cleaning your lens.

3. Woeiston

Woeiston Member

I've just finished cleaning it. I completely opened the case and got all the dust out, plus I cleaned the lens. When I first tried to play a regular DVD, I got my hopes up, as it seemed to be working fine. But when inserting a (cracked) game, it was doing the same thing yet again: really long loading times and freezes mid-game. Any ideas?