1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 stopped playing DVDs - can I fix?

Discussion in 'PS2 - Software boot discussion' started by lilfoxi, Mar 9, 2005.

1. lilfoxi

lilfoxi Member

I bought a used PS2 (model SCPH-50001) about a month ago and when I got it, it played all kinds of games including PAL and NTSC-J and backups. I think it has a mod chip, but I am not sure which kind. After a couple of weeks, I put in a Region 1 original DVD and it didn't want to play it. I put the machine in the vertical stand and then it worked fine.

Last night, I tried to play the same DVD in the vertical stand and now it won't read it at all. On the main screen, it shows my memory card and a disk which the machine labels as "PS2 game" or something like that. When I click on it, the disk spins and the screen goes dark, but then it goes right back to showing the memory card and the disk.

It still plays original PS2 games and backup PS2 games from all regions, but it won't play PS1 games.

Is this something I might be able to fix, or should I just throw it out now? :) Thanks

2. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

a lot of modchips require you to hold reset or something to play dvd movies and ps1 games.

3. lilfoxi

lilfoxi Member

Thanks. I tried as many variations on that as I could think of, but it still wouldn't work. I appreciate your help though