1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 Swap Magic Compatibility with EA SPORTS GAMES

Discussion in 'PS2' started by ooga, Jun 24, 2004.

1. ooga

ooga Member

having just purchased Swap Magic 2.0 and a slide card for my european PS2, i'm having trouble getting it to work with my ea sports baseball game, which i purchased while in the states.

i would like to know if the swap magic version i have is compatible with this game, and if there is any other problem that i might encounter.

i have checked elsewhere in this forum for an answer, and being a newbie, i haven't found the answer that i'm looking for.

facts:
    the game is ea sports "mvp baseball 2004," purchased in the us, NTSC, dvd rom.
    my ps2 is a version 9 - european PAL.
    swap magic 2.0 dvd

description of problems:
    upon inserting the swap magic, i get the usual "insert disc" menu on the screen. as instructed, i then exchange that disc with mvp baseball 2004. i push the tray back in, then use the slide card as instructed in order to move the pin to the left. in this phase, i have had difficulty using the slide card (i am not sure if i am successfully hooking the pin because there seems to be a lot of resistance and i don't want to damage the machine), but either way, when i close the tray all the way and remove the slide card, and thereafter press 'x,' the playstation seems to stall. it hems and haws a lot as if it is having difficulty reading the disc. at the same time, nothing changes on the screen - it still says insert disc. the sound of the playstation trying to read the disc continues until i give up on it, usually about a minute, and then i press re-set in order to start over.

having read other entries in afterdawn, i was inspired to try pressing the 'square' button instead of the 'x,' and other times the select button, but the result is always the same.

please help. as mentioned, i would like to know if the swap magic version i have is compatible with this game, and if there is any other problem that i might encounter, or if it is most likely that i am not using the slide card correctly.

also, by using the slide card, is there a risk of damaging the playstation? or damaging the tray?

finally, is there a better solution so that i can play this game on my ps2?

thanks.

2. ooga

ooga Member

have i posted to the wrong forum?

3. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

what colour does the border change to around the edge of the swapmagic screen when you press x after swaping with your import

4. ooga

ooga Member

thanks, devilhunt, for responding.

after swapping with the import disc, then pressing x, the border on the screen turns BLUE.

the screen then turns black and now i can hear the machine working on the cd (it no longer stutters), but nothing else happens. at least, nothing else happens over the next 40-60 seconds or so, and then i become concerned that i might damaged the machine, so i stop.

i am being cautious as i don't want to do irreversible damage to the ps2.

what's your diagnosis?

thanks in advance for any help.

5. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

well if it turns blue then it appears that swap magic is trying to boot your import as i dont own that game i can't test it myself but do you have cd or dvd loader have you tried using it in conjunction with swap magic?

6. ooga

ooga Member

thanks for responding.

i don't have a cd or dvd loader. or, i am not sure what this is, if it's not a standard part with the original ps2.

what does it do? or what are the advantages of having one?

if swap magic is trying to boot my import game, as you believe that it is, is there a risk that the machine can overheat if this takes too long?

maybe i should just let the machine keep trying?

has anyone else experienced a problem like this?

thanks again for any help.

7. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

cd/dvd loader is an extra boot bisc that can be downloader and used in conjunction with swap magic to boot double check games.Cd loader can be downloaded fron http://www.swapmagicfix.com and dvd loader can be got from http://www.ps2ownz.com cd loader is burnt to a cd and booted with swapmagic cd,dvd loader is a modified version of cd loader that is burnt to dvdr disc as some people have problems getting swapmagic cd to work,from what you said in your post about swap magic getting the blue border then hanging at a blank screen this can happen with double check games so it may be worth giving it a try.I doubt that any damage will be caused to your ps2 from the failed boot.you say that you have a v9 ps2 so i would reconend that you try dvd loader as some pepole have problems getting cd loader to work correctly with the newer ps2 you can download it from ps2 ownz or if you private me your e-mail address i will sent you dvd loader as an attachment its about 500kb
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]cd loader for the v7+ ps2 http://www.geocities.com/jayteemaster2003/
    cd loader for v1-6 ps2 http://www.tidusx.cjb.net/
    using swapmagic got problem game check out http://www.swapmagicfix.com/
    http://www.modchip.com/ps2/ps2id.htm idetify your ps2 version[/small]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2004
  8. ooga

ooga Member

after several more attempts, i can happily report that i finally got it to work.

after pressing x, i kept on having the same problem of the game not being able to boot up successfully.

however, having read elsewhere that some users have had luck by pressing 'select.' i tried this and it worked. the game booted up and played like i had expected it to play.

apparently, all is well.

thank you for your feedback and help.

9. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

glad you solved your problem