1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 to PC

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Ishbal, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Ishbal

Ishbal Member

I need to send the internet from my wall to my PS2 and then directly to my PC... i do not need a router, i do not want to send the internet directly to the pc... this is the set up that i need and it has to be this way...

now that that is over:
    does anybody know of a crack/hack/exploit that would allow the PS2 to send information via usb cable?

2. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

LOL, yes you do. the ps2 cant send the internet from the usb slot. A router is only around $30.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]V9 PS2, flip top, SMD, DVDLoader
    Pioneer 107, ritek g04
    DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter, Nero[/small]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2004
  3. Ishbal

Ishbal Member

::sigh:: no, no i do not need a router. I am trying to solve a unique problem which i am not going to go into here, and a router would simply complicate things even more.

Here are my ideas:
    1. the ps2 is basically just a pc.
    2. pc's can be lined directly via usb cable - i know, ive looked into it
    3. linking pc's via usb shares the internet.
    4. refer to statement 1.

4. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

to even begin trying, you have to have your ps2 modded. You probably could hook the internet up from the pc to the ps2 via usb (but you don't want to), but i highly doubt you can go the other way.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]V9 PS2, flip top, SMD, DVDLoader
    Pioneer 107, ritek g04
    DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter, Nero[/small]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2004
  5. Ishbal

Ishbal Member

what if i loaded my ps2 up with an OS? would that not make it simpler to transmit data from the ps2 to my pc?

6. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

possibly if you install the linux kit.

7. Ishbal

Ishbal Member

ok, is the version of linux included in the kit different than what i can get for the pc? would it be possible to load lets say, redhat onto my ps2? and if so, would that be possible with out a disk: the kit is no longer sold in the us and i dont have a mod chip

8. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

No, Redhat is designed to work on Intel processors. You need Linux for the PS2's CPU. From reading this thread, I've yet to figure out why a router wouldn't be the best solution. I don't believe Linux for the PS2 even includes a routing function since the PS2 does not have more than one offical network interface. Perhaps it would make better since if we understood what you were trying to ultimately accomplish.

9. Ishbal

Ishbal Member

Ok, this is a bit of an off the wall solution to a problem here... but its all I can see even maybe working, so here goes:

My ISP has implimented a bandwidth cap - no problem, dont care.
    My ResNet has implimented a packet shaper - big problem, my T1 line now works at about .7kbp, completely unnecceptable.

The packet shaper only affects certain port ranges on my pc - thats how theyve set it up anyway - so XBox games and PS2 games have no problem onine, because they use ports that are unrestricted. So, by filtering the internet through an unrestricted port... my internet then becomes unrestricted. get it? Like I said, its a "bit" off the wall, but I know that routers are not the answer. Thank you for working with me on this, and any further information - or ideas - that you could pass along would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

10. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Ok, so what I'm understanding is that your ISP has restricted bandwidth and/or access to certain port ranges that your PC uses and your PS2/xbox isn't affected by this so you wish to somehow route your PC's internet access through the PS2 thinking that this will solve the problem?

11. Ishbal

Ishbal Member

correct, but it is not the bandwidth cap im trying to fix here, that doesnt bother me. its tha packet shaper they have - the only time i can get a decent transfer rate is when im downloading a critical windows update - they have restricted certain types of data through certain pc ports in an attempt to slow/stop file sharing and pirating.

The do not, however limit the packets - of any type - that flow to and from my PS2, or XBoxes, etc.

by channeling the internet into and out of my PS2, the data exits and enters an unrestricted port and thus bypassing the packet shaper but not the bandwidth cap, but like i said, the bandwidth cap is still pretty generous.

12. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Ok, this won't solve your problem. You already know that a router isn't the solution to this problem, and therefore, making your PS2 into a router won't solve the problem either. Simply having your PC access the Internet VIA the PS2 would not be filtering your PC Internet through unrestricted PS2 ports because even if the PS2 could route traffic it would simply pass it along using the same port the traffic originated on. An example would be if you sent a web page request from the PC through the PS2 to the Internet on TCP port 80, the PS2 would not change the port, simply relay it (just like a router). The other part of this problem is if you could somehow map the restricted ports to unrestricted ports before sending out to the Internet you would have to get the destination PC(s) you were communicating to do the same on their end. You could possibly try something using a Cisco PIX 501 firewall but the configuration would get extremely complicated. Unfortunately, the easiest solution as far as I can tell would be to simply change Internet providers.

13. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

It is also noteworthy to mention that there are programs out there to manipulate the ports that PC's use to send/receive data. For example, if you want to access a web site using a port other than TCP 80 simply put in something like www.microsoft.com:8080. In that example you would be telling your web browser to pull up a web page at microsoft.com using port TCP 8080 instead of 80, although like I said above about getting the remote destinations to cooperate, there must be a web server at microsoft.com listening on port 8080.

14. Ishbal

Ishbal Member

Well I thank you Icemonkey. you are the only one in all the forums ive asked for help from who has told me WHY this wont work, not just that it wont. My only question now is - howcome the PS2 doesnt get its packets shaped with the rest of the internet traffic?

15. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

PS2 game software is configured to use TCP and UDP port 10070-10080 and the headset uses UDP ports 6000-6999. It would appears that simply your ISP chooses not to manipulate packets on these ports as how they are not known to be in use by peer-to-peer applications assuming that their goal is to discourage such usage.

16. Ishbal

Ishbal Member

but that makes it seem like my plan would work after all.... by sending and receiving out of the ps2 ports my internet goes unhindered...?

17. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

No, if you used a peer-to-peer program for example that your ISP has blocked or manipulated the ports for the problem will still persist because the PS2 will not change the ports it uses because the PS2 will become a router if you do what you proposed and you yourself stated that a router would not solve your problem. If you send data through your PS2 from your PC to the Internet using a blocked or hindered port, the PS2 will attempt to relay the data using the same blocked or hindered port producing the same result. You are attempting to use hardware to solve a software problem. The solution to your problem is to reconfigure your peer-to-peer program to use different ports or change ISP's.

18. Ishbal

Ishbal Member

oh... ok, I get it now, thanks. So basically, Im stuck with crappy internet because Im at a university, and connot change ISPs... and the problem isnt just with p2p programs, its games and internet browsers as well. Oh well, looks like im stuck playing games at 230/300AM, just to get a good ping.

19. MadJak

MadJak Member