1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ps2 tray won't stay closed

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by 7ender, Mar 11, 2007.

1. 7ender

7ender Guest

Well after much searching I still can't find the solution to my problem.

My ps2 tray will open, and all of the buttons (eject/reset) work correctly, but then I cannot close it right. It closes for roughly 3 seconds, then opens again. The tray is in proper alignment, so that is not the problem.

I have opened the ps2 and watched it, and the cd will go in then be "lifted" up by the motor. The laser appears to be working correctly, but should the motor begin to spin the disc at this point? The motor in mine goes up, then pauses, goes back down, and then the disc is ejected automatically.

If anybody has any idea what I can do or what the problem is please post! : ) It is the "fat" ps2, and has no mods. I apologize for my "newbness" and if there is anything else I can describe that may help you diagnose the problem please let me know.'

Thanks

2. fatfatso

fatfatso Guest

Try:

Remove the disc tray and look underneath the gear track. Is there any broken gear or tracks? If that's normal: press eject while the tray is out. Doe it spins the motor with the gear?

Okay..

Check the motor cable to see if it is loose? You may need total disassembly for this drive to be accessible. If that don't work; buy a spare part with a good drive from ebay. I am suspecting your drive is messed up.

Goodluck!

3. Souperfro

Souperfro Member

FATFATSO, I made a post with this exact problem...but well backwards. My ps2 won't eject.

I hear the gears moving, but it seems like it THINKS the drive is out, so it keeps trying to pull it in...it's already in.

I have the cover off of my ps2, how could I get to the gears and what not from here?

4. fatfatso

fatfatso Guest

I think in your case where some one pushes in before the gear engaged itself; thus creating an out of alignment gear-track.

If you already have it open, try to remove 2 more screws that holds the tray onto the drive. Once you've done that; lift it up and look underneath. Now, you have to lift the drive upward and then install the tray back to it's highes position inward.

Also, depending on what version you have it will do differently.

That's that!