1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ps2 v12 wont load games anymore, any help?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by SwellBo, Nov 9, 2007.

1. SwellBo

SwellBo Member

I have a ps2 slim v12 modded with a dsm4 pro lite. i also have the laser diode installed. the ps2 worked fine for a bout a year and then i just started running into probelms. first it would load just fine first try everytime. then it started taking a few restarts to get it goin (like a lawnmower). i would press the restart button, and if i saw a little green line flash across the screen i knew it was going to load the game. if there wasn't any line, i would simply restart the system untill it came up (very annoying). well just recently it stopped working altogether. now the system powers up, but the disc wont spin. any suggestions on how to fix my ps2?

should i just go to gamestop and buy a used ps2 and just re-mod it or get swap magic? or is there anyone around the orange county area who fixes broken ps2's? any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!

-Brandon

2. SwellBo

SwellBo Member

does anyone know how to fix a broken slim ps2?

3. redux79

redux79 Regular member

The v12 is notorious for burning out the laser, I didn't find out until after mine died last summer. My v12 was non-modded and lasted a little over 2 years.

Apparently it requires something called the laser fix which prevents the laser from drawing to much power when trying to read damaged discs or copies made on sub par media. I thought about repairing my v12 until I saw a screen shot in some older threads, the laser fix requires soldering wires from the main board to the ground to prevent the surge of power that burns out the laser. I think there's an after market part out now that accomplishes the same thing but I think it's only for newer slim models (can't confirm or deny).

If you can play ps1 games and indigo colored ps2 games then your dvd laser is most likely burnt out. If not then it could be that something else in the laser assembly gave out or your mod chip is malfunctioning.

Every few days one of the ps2 guru's usually comes through and checks the posts to make sure that the right information was given. I’m only sharing what i've learned on the subject since I had a similar problem. They can most likely help you narrow down your problem, in the meantime it never hurts to lurk through older threads pertaining to your modchip, console version, or specific problem.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2007
  4. SwellBo

SwellBo Member

my slim ps2 is chipped with a dsm4 pro lite and also has the laser diode that came with the chip. when i first put the chip in it worked fine. then it started making a clicking sound after a while and i would have to put it on its side or upside down. somehow it would work. it still powers up but the disc wont spin at all.

5. xhardc0re

xhardc0re Guest

sounds like the laser. Have you ever tried to open it up yourself? Clean it out & contact a reputable modder to see what they suggest. You can try replacing the laser yourself; i'm not sure if needs a professional install like a chip. My v12 lasted yrs then i traded it in on the newer version i have right now.

6. SwellBo

SwellBo Member

i havent opened it back up since i modded it. ill try cleaning it out tonight and see what happens. if it is the laser what should i do?