1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 V2 or V3 to a V7 w/ DVD-R Can I switch mobo

Discussion in 'PS2' started by MAKAVELLI, Feb 25, 2003.

1. MAKAVELLI

MAKAVELLI Guest

I have searched the threads with no help found to my question so here goes,

I have a version 3 PS2 and tried to install a magic 3.6 to it (going againts all advice from you guys here) and of course I ruined my PS2 motherboard(mainboard) So now I am on a quest to fix this. Since I heard that version 7 PS2 are the latest and most easy version to solder onto, I was wondering if I could buy a version 7 motherboard and put it on my version 3 PS2 or any other version for that matter, are these mobo's interchangeable with one another?

My worries are that the new mobo will not fit in my case or the wiring is different on the different versions (For instance the dvdrom will not work with this new mobo or the wires are in different areas) oh and btw I will purchase it with the power supply that came with the version 7 because I know these differ from version to version.

Well I hope you guys can help me.

Thanks,

MAKAVELLI THE DON
    'TIL IM GONE_X_X_X_X_X_[small] *=-MILITARY MINDED-=*
    *=-PUT DOWN YOUR CoCKS-=*
    *=-PICK UP YOUR GLOCKS-=*
    *=-READY FOR WAR-=*[/small]

2. c7015

c7015 Regular member

dont know for sure but I would advise against it

just seems to me that they wouldednt be compatible with the other components of the ps2

not to mention that it has a different screw pattern whic might interfere with a few things

your best bet would be to check ebay and see if they have a broken v3 that you can get for cheap and swap the mother board with. (make sure that if you buy a broken one that it is not the motherboard that is broken)

good luck

3. yin

yin Member

i say get a new ps2

4. MAKAVELLI

MAKAVELLI Guest

Hey thanks for your quick reply c7015

Very helpfull and just as I thought, but what about if I buy a PS2 with a read disk error off ebay that is not a version 3 or 4 can I then put in my dvdrom drive from my broken PS2 to this new one? or does it have a different dvd eye lens or whatever and need same dvdrom to work?

Please reply thanks

5. c7015

c7015 Regular member

depending on the version. The main difference between the versions is the laser that is why the v7 is the best one it has the strongest laser you might be able to do a version 1 or 2 swap but then you would still have a version 1 or 2 to mod unless you made a complete one and sold the broken one and traded in the peiced together one ..
    (dont know where you live but arround me the Electronics Boutique lets you trade in a system and 2 games for another system (x box gamecube). then you take that new system that you have which will be the equal value of a new ps2 and exchange them. then you would have your version 7 and you would only be out the cost of one broken system off ebay.that is if you can swap disc drives which I assume you could assuming you got it from the same version or generation (ie screw pattern)

sorry if that made no sence...lol

6. MAKAVELLI

MAKAVELLI Guest

lol,

No I get what your saying after reading it twice :). That is a good idea only if I cant get a v7 on my ps2 which I was now told is actually a version5 WTF!?!? it has 8 screws on the bottom and is an SPCH-30001 with a Serial number beggining with U 2 X X X X X and a warning on the bottom of electrical hazard.

So now if I can get another v1 through v5 im ok with switching either the dvdrom or the mainboard right? :O Now im confused again but I think I got somewhat of an idea about what I need to do, if not I will let you all know what became of it. So I will buy the PS2 off of ebay and replace the mobo on mine if it does not work or does not fit I will then replace the dvdrom on the new one I bought and see it that works if not im stuck with two useless PS2's :(

Thanks

MAKAVELLI THE DON

7. satan!

satan! Member

This is insanity!

I had to draw a diagram to figure it out:

..........Madness....…..Madness........
    .............\......…............./..................
    ...............\......…........../...................
    .........…...\................./................….
    .............Working Madness..........…
    ...........….....[i think]……...............
    .............…….....+.................……..
    ...........…..Broken Madness............
    [NOTE: Twice as Mad as originall madness]

I think that pretty much sums it up!
    Also feel free to make ammendments, this is Diagram v1.0
    Also also if you pull this off tell me, it could be very usefull for making money/PS2s.

Please, dont over-run me with thankyou PMs,
    Its all in a days work...
    satan!

PS How come you cant put spaces before/between characters?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2003
  8. c7015

c7015 Regular member

good luck tell us how the fankenstein turns out lol

you just have to think if it dosent all you are out is the cost of the broken ps2 you bought off ebay
    plus you can always sell the 2 broken ones

9. MAKAVELLI

MAKAVELLI Guest

Ok thanks again for your wisdom c7015 as for Satan I have no F***ing idea about what your babbling on about but please stay off that glass pipe it affects you terribly. lol....
    by the way if anyone knows where to get a cheaper PS2 mobo or one with a disk read error the info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all,

MAKAVELLI

10. satan!

satan! Member

Where abouts on this planet are you located?
    I am in UK and can give many ideas.
    Also as you all sound clever and since this is the closest thread to it i have aquestion:

eBay is selling a PS2 that reads and plays Audio CDs but not Game DVDs, not sure about Game CDs.. anyway i was thinking it sounds good for repair job, perhaps laser adjustment/replacment? What do you reckon, good or bad buy?

Thanks
    satan!

11. L-dubb

L-dubb Regular member

Let me clear it up for all of you. If you have a 3001 with u2 serial then you have a v.4. And no the parts are not interchangeable. 1-3 mobo's are diff in shape and size then the 4-7. You can not change trays either, I.E. a V.5 tray in a v.7. The tray must match the board. I have tried this because I have 4 ps2's worth of spare parts and cant mix them. A v.4 tray wont fit on a v.5-7 because the ribbons are different and there are less ribbons on a v.4 tray. You can switch the mobo in the case but make sure the tray is a matching tray. Got It?

12. satan!

satan! Member

Calm down...lol.
    Is my bargain find actually worth getting?

By the way its a PS2 that doesnt read DVDs but does CDs.

Thanks
    satan!

13. MAKAVELLI

MAKAVELLI Guest

Ok L-dubb thanks so I have a version 4 I do have the 30001 and the serial is U 2 X X X X
    and 8 screws on bottom with warning of electrical stuff. So I am good that I have a version 4. Now I bought another ps2 that I believe is a version 4 off of ebay for $55 that has a read disk error for dvd games but can read cds and blue backs and I will try to switch dvdroms if this does not work then I will only need to buy a dvdrom that works for this version 4 to correct this? am I at least correct in saying that?

Well if the other ps2 is a version 1-4 I can change the Motherboard on my broken ps2 v4???
    I think thats what I got from your reply when you said the v1-v4 are same and v5-v7 are same also but not interchangeable. So basically can i put my version 4 dvdrom on this ps2 as long as its not a version 5 or up?

Thanks I hope I just didnt confuse this even more, But any help would be usefull.

MAKAVELLI