1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 V4 Question

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Mully26, Jan 3, 2004.

1. Mully26

Mully26 Member

Hi everybody, hopefully somebody will be able to provide me with some insight here. I currently have a v4 ps2 with a flip-top and SMD 2.0 that will play DVD+R movies but when it comes to playing dvd-rom based games on dvd+r on my ps2 the load times take forever and the music and gameplay often freezes. My question is will burning the games to DVD-r solve this problem, or am I still going to experience the same problems? Or does anybody know of any other possible solutions other than buying a v5 or above? Thanks alot.

2. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

seems like your ps2 is having trouble reading games on +r so burning to -r may help but burning at a slower speed may also help

3. Mully26

Mully26 Member

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention that all the +r games that I burned were written at 1X. I've tried using Alcohol 120%, nero, dvd decrypter, and record now. I've had the best luck with record now but the games still do not work to well.

4. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

what brand media are you using?

5. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

personaly i only use ritek g03/g04 dvd-r discs burnt with record now and this combination has never failed me yet,if you have the capability to burn -r discs then i would recomend you just get a single dvd-r disc and burn to that and see if it is any better than your +r backups

6. Mully26

Mully26 Member

I've tried using both Memorex and Imation +r's written at 1x, there really hasn't been a difference in performance between the two...

7. SirRaven

SirRaven Member

if i recall correctly v1-4 ps2's aren't very compatible with +r disks...i could be mistaken but i remember reading somewhere that early model ps2s are best reading -r's

8. lkailburn

lkailburn Member

yes, i'm pretty sure that its v1-v3 can only read -r and some v4's can read +r. i personally have a v4 and i use cheap no name dvd+r disks(i think the brand name is legacy) and i have never had problems with them.

9. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

i have a v4, have used both + and -R Memorex, burnt at 2x and never had a problem. Did you try cleaning your laser? Since it can read +R movies, it should read +R games with no problems.

10. Mully26

Mully26 Member

I think I have solved my problem. I downloaded the cdloader from swapmagicfix.com and use that to load all my games and they all play fine for the most part now (still some occasional freezing on games that were burnt at speeds higher than 1x). Thanks for your input everyone.