1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 V4(w/ GAP) just installed magic3.1, but only goes to browser/SYS Configuation screen, HELP!!

Discussion in 'PS2' started by mingsky, May 17, 2003.

1. mingsky

mingsky Guest

cos i am a new modchip installer, so
    plz help me out.
    my problem now:
    after installed magic3.1, it only goes to the browser/ system configuation screen, when i insert orginal or ps1/ps2 backup,
    question: what is this mean when i am able to see this screen? ( is that mean i can go back to the orginal PS2 if i remove the chip off )
    thx alot

2. EviLAnGeL

EviLAnGeL Guest

V4 PS2's are notoriously bad for this. Anything before a V5 is usually not worth the trouble when it comes to Magic's. I've tried 3 with the Magic 3.1 and diferent media different speeds etc and none have worked, yet the strange thing is a guarantee that you can mod it with a Neo 2.2 and use the swap disc method and it will work. Something to do with Neo 2.2 amplifying the laser I think. Take the chip out and it should all work as normal.

You could try tweaking the laser but only do this with a multimeter or VERY carefully by manual adjustment or you may find it won't even read originals. Personally I'd take the chip out get rid of the V4 and get a V7 or at least a V5 and put the chip back in.

3. L-dubb

L-dubb Regular member

I have to disagree. I did a V4 3.1 today and it works w/ no problems. I have put messiah 2, and DMS3's in a V4 and havent had a problem. If the system passes my tests before I install the chip then I know all will be fine. Something must be wrong, do originals play but back ups do not? Do a full test w/ back ups and originals of both ps1 and ps2 games and let me know what happens.

4. EviLAnGeL

EviLAnGeL Guest

I agree if originals aswell as backups do not work then it's the install, usually something with A through I connections, but it seems that the PS2 is recognising a backup it just isn't getting past the browser screen. If it recognises the disc enough to take it to the browser screen and show the type of disc in the top right then the install is correct but you could do a continuity test with a multimeter on all points. If the points check out ok then it has to be the laser and you can only adjust it or get another laser unit or another PS2. Personally adjusting the laser has never worked but I have only used a multimeter to get the ohms to around 650 - 800. I've never used an oscilloscope which is how you are truly supposed to adjust the laser.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2003
  5. mingsky

mingsky Guest

thank you very much for the help.
    oh, i guess i broke my ps2 already
    cos, the same thing happen after i remove
    the chip
    now, can't boot ps2 orginal games
    but can play cd/dvd ( but freeze sometime)
    and the machine seems very unstable
    and the cd eject sometime fast, sometime slow, sometime goes out and in.
    will i able to fix my ps2 in this case?
    thx again.

6. EviLAnGeL

EviLAnGeL Guest

Oh dear. Sounds like you made a bit of a mess. It's probably fixable (hopefully) Theres gotta be a bridge or solder splashes/balls somewhere. You can buy copper braid or deslolder wick which will soak up any excess solder that may have splashed and caused a short, but to be fair you maybe should think about giving it to a pro, tell them what you've done and they may be able to sort it for you.

7. drewid

drewid Member

with the eject tray opening and auto closing again you'll find that the Z connection is briged to the GND somewhere.. sounds like your laser isnt in the best condition aswell as it cant recognise the disc during the start screen where the magic bypasses the protection.. try give you lens a good clean and cross your fingers.. the eject mechanism wont open until the disc has stopped spinning so thats why it takes longer sometimes.. but usually when the PS2 tries to read a disc and it cant it spins the disc faster and faster .. so thats why it would take so long.. good luck!

Last edited: May 20, 2003
  8. mingsky

mingsky Guest

thank you all very much.
    i gonna have a camping for a few days,
    i will try to 'fix' my ps2 after i come back
    just point out that i actually mess up
    the 'V' solderring-point on the ps2 board
    ( that's the small copper-plate ),
    i accidently took it off while solderring.
    so i solder the wire to the left-side of
    the small hole, cos they are connected. ( is this a problem?)
    for all other solderring-points i did carefully checked, including the 'Z' and 'GND' points. maybe it's shorted somewhere else.

9. bwatkins

bwatkins Member

I installed my Magic 3.1 chip this week, and it seems as though it won't play my backups. It sits at the same screen as described above. It does still play my original games and as well as DVDs. I've tried both +Rs and -Rs. I checked all the soldier points, and they look good. I had a friend that does electronics do the soldiering. Moved the W point to the alternate point as well. but that didn't work. Any ideas? I noticed someone said clean the laser. What might that do?

Last edited: May 23, 2003
  10. drewid

drewid Member

check the S point.. as i have found that if its not soldered correctly it can play up with DVD_+R's..