1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 v7 DVDR Problems

Discussion in 'PS2' started by mage182, Nov 6, 2004.

1. mage182

mage182 Member

I recently installed a fliptop and am using Swap magic. I got the boot loader to work on -R but have had no success getting a game to work with +R or -R. i have tried a few games and get nothing but the clicking sound of the DVD not reading. any ideas?

2. Boomsly

Boomsly Member

It could be a couple things, for one the media type you are using might be a cheap brand that does not work with the ps2. I succesfully backed-up san andreas a couple days ago (first back-up of mine ever) on a memorex DVD+R 4x. It came in a 3 pack from wal-mart. I don't know why but my minimum burn speed was 4x so I tried it and it worked, I used alcohol 120% to burn it. I'm not sure if the memorex media is a great choice tho, I've only put about 1-2 hours of play on the back-up copy and the dvd drive is sounding louder then normal I still need to look into it (to make sure it's not wearing out my ps2's lens).
    I suggest using alcohol 120% to burn (because it worked for me I also have a V7 ps2 using the swap magic trick only, no modchip) but other people like using dvd decrypter (however you spell it).
    Hope this has helped

3. mage182

mage182 Member

i originally tried using SONY DVD+R burning as slow as possible but it unit would not read it. so i got some MEMOREX DVD-R and thats what i made the DVD Loader on that worked. but the games will still not work. I used DVD decrypter to make the discs and i know they work cause a friend tried them in his v7 PS2. it has us both kind of boggled...

4. Boomsly

Boomsly Member

Hmm not sure what your problem is, sorry.

5. yugioh2me

yugioh2me Regular member

I'm suspecting that your laser is at its end of its life. Try getting a new ps2 laser and see if that fixes your problem. If it doesnt, then maybe your ps2 has some problems sometimes reading DVD-/+R disks.

You could always get a new ps2 if you really wanted to play your backup games! :)

6. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

7. mage182

mage182 Member

The PS2 is only a few months old. my bro got it for xmas this past year and we dont play it much at all so i dont see how it could be the laser being dirty or misaligned.

8. yugioh2me

yugioh2me Regular member

just try cleaning it, it wont hurt your ps2 (actually it will if u dont clean it the correct way).

9. mage182

mage182 Member

ok i tried cleaning it with a small bit of alcohol. but no change. still just the clicking and no reading from both +R and -R....any more ideas???

Last edited: Nov 6, 2004
  10. yugioh2me

yugioh2me Regular member

oh wait!! There are clicking noises in your ps2!!! And your using a flip top!!!!

Theres a simple solution to this problem (actually there are 2):

Solution 1:put a heavy book on top of the flip top cover to put some weight on it (this would push the fliptop covers flip thing down) resulting the white disk in the middle of the flip thing to fully touch the disk which would result in no more clicking!

Solution 2:Take the white disk off of the flip thing and put it on top of the disk without attaching it to the flip top cover's flip thing which would result in no more clicking!

11. mage182

mage182 Member

i thought it was that too and tried that...but if u flip the top up its actually the laser trying to read farther in on the disk and there is disk to read...so it sort of jams itself and clicks and then moves back out on the disk in an attempt to read it...the strange thing is...Swap Magic and regular store bought games work fine, its just the DVDRs that do it....

12. mage182

mage182 Member

so heres a good question. my friend has a broken v4 PS2 he gave me. if i send it out to get fixed and get it back...will my v7 fliptop fit on it? i know the v4 takes 10 screws and the v7 takes 8....but can i just throw it on and skip 2 screws???

13. yugioh2me

yugioh2me Regular member

i dont think that would work mainly because of the layout of the V4 and V7 Flip top covers. V4 has a different layout (like where the reset and eject button goes and other stuff than the V7 Flip top cover) which makes it unusable for the V7 unless you cut some parts off.

ou could try using the V4 flip top cover on the V7 but i dont think it will work.

14. candycab

candycab Member

Not too sure about the media question ,but I think most PS2's dont like +R from what Ive seen... I would look around to see who is having success with what and try the same brand.

My 2 cents on laser issues... A laser that is used in an optical device is more or less a piece of static hardware, meaning no matter what it is trying to read nothing changes within the lens like voltage etc...

Therefore media has nothing to do with lifespan of the lens,99 times out of 100 they fail due to prolonged periods of heat and or harsh jolts like the PS2 getting dropped or getting hit bye a disc while in transport etc and to top it off Sony uses some of the cheapist low quality lenses on the market.

Thats no suprise since they have been taking the cheap way out parts wise in their tvs for probably 20 years or so....Ask any TV repair shop which brand they see most and why :) Lol they should use a slogan like

Sony.....create it and the sheep will buy ! :)

Basically media will not reduce the life of youre unit no matter what it is.

If youre curious where I learned any of this ,its beacuse I have been a LaserDisc nut since about 1990 and unfortunitly players generally eat lenses within 2 to 5 years ....I have seen and talked to my share of Techs over the years due to this.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2004
  15. Boomsly

Boomsly Member

I have V7 Ps2 and I have succesfully backed-up a copy of san andreas on +r media, it's 4x memorex from wal-mart came in a 3-pack. I also have made succesful back-ups on +r TDK media I have a spindle of 25 dvd+r and so far 5 out of 5 have worked with no probelems.