1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ps2 v7 magic 3.1, black screen. HELP

Discussion in 'PS2' started by MrToast, Nov 28, 2003.

1. MrToast

MrToast Guest

My version 7 playstation with magic 3.1 was working great for months now, but when I boot it up now it blinks and the screen stays black. The cd is spinning but no pic and no sound. It worked 100% with no problems before, anyone know what might be up? It did get cold overnight and bumped around slightly, it also wasnt allowed to warm to room temperature but worked for a few hours of play then when I turned it on it didnt work. PLEASE HELP

2. ads03

ads03 Member

I wish i could help ya, ive encountered the same problem, my ps2 was workin fine, didnt touch it n it still fucked up. if you ask me get n Xbox, ps2's are shit, two of my friends have both fucked up!
    Knowin sony they probibly gave the older models a short lastability so that you have to purchase a new one like they did with early ps1's!

3. Irocz005

Irocz005 Regular member

Perhaps the chip went bad, or the laser lens needs cleaning.

4. pas2mania

pas2mania Regular member

or believe it or not but it could be your ps2 av connecter that you connect your tv to the ps2 it could be.

5. ads03

ads03 Member

nah, ive tryed three different leads and two tv's still the same problem. Whats the best and easiest way to clean the laser lens?
    cheerz

Last edited: Dec 8, 2003
  6. MrToast

MrToast Guest

well, im stumped! if it is the av converter, does anyone know where to get one and how much might it cost? I have yet to check on the chip as I have to take it apart tonight. It weird, it seems to work just fine but no picture or sound but the games sound the same as before as far as loading goes. I think the av converter might be the thing wrong but I will check the chip too. Thanks, will post results or other problems!

7. ads03

ads03 Member

I sent them n email and they said that it could be a number of reasons causing this and said to ring their support team
    08705 99 88 77,

Prob try that

8. MrToast

MrToast Guest

thanks! But my unit is now dead d e a d! I took the chip out and when I did clipped the bios somehow and now it will power on and sits there! The eject wont work. nothing. Thanks for the information but it looks like a dead end

cheers

9. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

The power and eject buttons not responding could be something as simple as the ribbon cable going to them being shorted. If you've disassembled your machine a few times it's common for this cable to get bent one time too many where it's folded and not connect well anymore. The black screen when powering on is usually caused by a problem with the CD/DVD controller contacts on the bottom of the motherboard.