1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 V7/Magic 3.1

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Pessa, Dec 15, 2003.

1. Pessa

Pessa Member

Having read a couple of posts with people mentioning problems with this configuration I am a little worried... Just in the last 2 days my PS2 with a Magic 3.1 chip has started misbehaving, when I insert a game disc, and hold the reset button for the requisite 4 seconds, nothing happens other than the screen flickers slightly and stays black. When this happens, I have power cycled and tried again, nothing doing except on a couple of occasions where it did actually boot through to the start of the game, movie or music cd.

The chip was installed with a clip in April this year and I have had no problems until now. The machine hasn't been moved, bumped or disturbed in any way so I don't believe that a wire has come loose.

I bought the chip through modchip.ca and they guarantee that it is genuine.

I hope that someone can help me out.

Cheers
    'Pessa

2. brad1102

brad1102 Guest

That clip they sold you could be the problem. The good-ol-folks at modchip.ca don't actually recomend the clips (and NEVER use them in their own installs), nevertheless they sell them all the time.

That clip may have come dislodged.

BTW, the boot instructions on a 3.1 are to tap the reset button once the backup is in, NOT hold it for 4 seconds. Holding the reset button puts the chips into sleep mode._X_X_X_X_X_[small]AMD Athlon 1800+
    512 DDR (233)
    Sony DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW
    Verbatim Data-Life Plus
    Windows XP Pro
    Sony Playstation 2 V.7
    Magic V
    [​IMG]

[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2003
  3. Pessa

Pessa Member

Thanks for the info, I will go in and check on the clip. Of late (when the problems started) I have been playing original games so I should be putting the chip to sleep for that, right?

Cheers
    'Pessa

Last edited: Dec 18, 2003
  4. Pessa

Pessa Member

We have performed exploratory surgery and everything was connected and now it is working again. Time will only tell if it is a permanent thing or not!

Cheers
    'Pessa