1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 version 1 not reading back up games.

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by NeooeN, Apr 4, 2005.

1. NeooeN

NeooeN Member

Hi to all,
    I have a problem with my version 1 PS2. It does not read the back up games I burned. I initially subscribe to this forum for that same reason, but I didn't post any questions on it, because I found that you guys had already discussed them. So, I follow the instruntions on some of the threads of "what better media to use to burn back ups" and "what better software to use to burn back ups"
    Before reading them I used some Princo blank discs and burn them using Nero Express, but none of the ones I burned where read by my PS2 after a thousand times of trying. I then read the above mentioned threads and bought new media (Sony dvd-r) and tried a different software (DVD Decrypter) and after following all the instructions and wasting ten blank discs trying what i read and trying alternative ways that came to my head. I finally give up and dare to ask, "WHAT AM I DOING WRONG, OR WHAT AM I MISSING??" If anyone under understood my question (because i am very frustrated and don't know if i'm making any sense, don't even know if i am typing in english) please advise me on what to do.
    Thanks,
    NeooeN

2. Anthony7

Anthony7 Member

u cant play back-up games unless u have ur ps2 modded or using some sort of swap method

3. EWRFan

EWRFan Guest

Do you have a mod-chip or are you using Swap Magic? If not, your PS2 wont read the discs, no matter how hard you try. You need to buy a mod-chip or swap magic discs for them to work.

4. abx

abx Guest

I have had very bad luck with nero. I know other people have used it with sucess but I have had a lot of problems with it. DVD Decrypt is a free program that is very easy and very good. Don't use Sony media. I've tried about 20 diferent brand names. Sony didn't work very well for me. The best media I used was Taiyo Yuden 8x. And of course, you will need a mod chip or Swap Magic. Good luck

5. NeooeN

NeooeN Member

Thanks a lot for the info guys. I've installed the DUO2 chip in my version 1 PS2.
    So, i already got the chip thing cover. The only thing is that for some weird reason it does not play the backups i make.
    I really would have thougth the guy that installed the chip in my ps2 had screw me over, if it wasn't for the fact that he left one of his backup games in my ps2 to play and the damn ps2 does read it. I have not been able to communicate with this guy yet to ask him what the hell is he doing that i am not. So, for now i am taking any suggestions that you guys have so kindly given me. As i mentioned before, i already use Princo dvd-r (media) as well as Sony dvd-r (media) and for software, i have tried Nero and DVD Decrypter, and nothing. So, i will appreciate any more info and suggestions that you guys are willing to provide me.
    Thanks again,
    NeooeN

6. Jizmak

Jizmak Regular member

Use verbatim or ritek(g04).
    Burn at 2x speed with dvd decrypter.
    You should have no issues.
    Your media or the burn speed is the problem.
    the backup that works what media is it?.

7. NeooeN

NeooeN Member

The back up that works according to what the guy that installed my chip in my ps2 is(Princo)That's what he said the last time i spoke to him. This is the same media i am using myself to burn back-ups. Princo DVD-R.
    That's the weird part!!!

8. Jizmak

Jizmak Regular member

Princo is poor media.
    See for yourself.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

Get good media burn at 2x speed.
    turn off any extra applications.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2005
  9. ihackedit

ihackedit Member

I dont know why you guys think you need to have a modded ps2 to play backup games, I agree that you do need to mod your ps2 is its after the vol.1 ps2. But i have a vol.1 ps2 and its not modded i bought it on the 4th date of its release in california. And since then i had never had a problem with playing any burned games, only mx vrs. atv was the only one i had a hard time until my couzin sent me to tool called nopsword.exe its about 77MB and i burned it on a cd, then i just poped that cd in my ps2 a couple of times(4 exact) and that game runs now. But for those who want to play a backup game just buy a mod chip or that switch thing(dont really know about mod chips) theyr only around 10-20 Bucks$$$.

10. ihackedit

ihackedit Member

Oh and one more thing NeooeN, if you got your ps2 around the first 3 weeks since its been out, you got riped of man, version 1 ps2's do not need mod chips they work all right because when the version 1 ps2's were out the companies werent even thinking about burning ps2 games they were to busy counting up the cash that they were making. Then when it hit them they realized their business started to drop(the game companies) and then the mod chips came out. So about after the 3rd week of the ps2's release they had been making password'd ps2, what i said i am more then 99.9% sure im true because i did 2 months research and i found these news online and i had many people telling me this. Anyways I have 3 ps2's the version 1 and the newer one and also the slim one. THe version 1 has an opend dvd lens. That is the one that isnt passworded. THe newer one has a black plastick cover covering the lens thing. And so does the slim one. So if you guys have a ps2 stock version 1 look on the lenses and see if your lenses are protected by black piese of plastick if not then your backups should work. Only some Gran Turismo 4 games i have tried wont run. But i have 6 different downloaded ISO's of GT4 and i will try them later. Anyways good luck with your ps2's people i really hope you dont get in to many trouble =). But come on ps2 mod chips arent expencive at all. Actually you can buy a brand new chrome ps2 all modded with latest technologies and its only $$$250.00$$$, i dont remember where i saw it but i know i googled it "moded playstation 2" and i looked though 3 links or more and found it. Anyways good luck again. WOW i typed a long reply. LOL.

good luck again.

11. ihackedit

ihackedit Member

And one more thing BURN YOUR BACKUPS AT SLOWEST SPEEDS, THe higher the speed is the more errors.

I use deepburner and deamon tools for my backups.

12. NeooeN

NeooeN Member

I trully appreciate all of you guy's help! Origanally I only subscribed to know which media and software to use to burn back ups, and i didn't think I would learn so much, thanks again.
    In regards to my problem, as weird as it may sound...it works now!!cool...the weird part is this:
    A friend of mine had given me some backups that he burned for me to try on my ps2, the media was some crappy one I can't remember. He gave me 4 backups, out of those four 3 were the same crapy media and 1 was different. That 1 was Phillip (also another crappy media according to the list that i read from you guys) Any ways, today I tried that Phillips backup and my weird ps2 read it and I'm currently playing it. Another weird fact, is that my friend said that he burned that backup at a 8x. None of this makes any sense!!! My PS2 not only did it read a crapy media, but a crapy media burned at a high speed. GO FIGURE!!!
    In any case, once more, I thank you all for all the info, and i look forward to learning more from all of you, thanks!!!!
    NeooeN