1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 version question!

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Toiletman, Jul 8, 2003.

1. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

Which version is the best and can anybody explain the benefits and or disavantages of each versions? (if there is any)

Thank you very much for your time.

2. G-4CE

G-4CE Regular member

newer versions are better without a dout as they will play +r media not just -r so you can get either of the dvd burners i reccomend version 7

3. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

I'm going to get a DVD+/- burner so that doesn't matter. What I really want to know about is if the later versions will have better performance, improved visuals (i.e. reduced jagizness) etc.

4. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

Anybody?

5. billz

billz Active member

new pro's
    play both +/- r
    prgressive scan(better picture for high resolution tv)
    play dvd-r movies

cons
    can't use cd loader on v7 and higher
    problem with the magic chip

6. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

Any more info?

*cries silently* Why are my threads soooo unpopular?

7. ICEPIMP

ICEPIMP Regular member

If you recommend a V7 you obvously dont know what your talking about.. V7 is exactly the same as a V5/6 only it has a double check for boot codes.. this sucks because you have to have expensive modchips to support that or else newer games wont work... a magic3.1 costs around 25$ and doesnt support double check and for a V7 you must have a double check modchips such as messiah2 Pro wich comes at about twice the price! so I recommend a V5/6 as it doesnt have double check and it supports both DVD+-R AND cd loader wich V7 and up DO NOT support

8. lincolnt

lincolnt Guest

hey guys,
    Speaking of V7 ps2's... to be honest i really don't want to spend heaps on a these better modchips you are talking about.. so will the V7 play most new game backups with Fliptop/SM??? or is it best to go all out and get an expensive mod chip???

9. Hanedrick

Hanedrick Regular member

You are also at disadvantage with the fliptop/sm with a version 7. If you use the fliptop/sm some of the games (ex. Splinter cell) require the use of the cdloader which doesn't work with the version 7. Basically there is nothing about the Version 7 that is better than a version 5/6. I would definately get the version 5/6 cause it's just as powerful as a version 7 except they don't have the doubele check thing and it works with the cdloader which you'll need if you get a fliptop and it is also better if your looking into modchips.

10. CLiPsEmX

CLiPsEmX Guest

I don't think u'll be gettin any versions under a v7. I don't think they sell any of the old versions anymore since v7 came out. So good luck tryin to get any other version as v7 have taken over to all the stores. This is of course if ur going to buy a new ps2.

11. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

Hey, but I thought v7 had "progessive scan" so it makes the picture better. Does V5/V6 have that, and can they both play +/-?

12. Hanedrick

Hanedrick Regular member

I havne't heard of this "progressive scan" but the picture quality on my version 5 is pefect. Also, yes both versions 5/6 read +/- r.

13. ICEPIMP

ICEPIMP Regular member

you say that you dont want to pay money for expensive modchips?? a magic 3.1 costs only 15$ www.modchipman.com is the cheapest. I have both a V5/6 and V7 and there is absolutely NO difference in picture quality

14. billz

billz Active member

"progressive scan" is only wroth it if you have a high end tv or you use your monitor it just supports higher resolution. v5/v6 is the way to go 9/10 but there not just sold in stores you'll have to find one for sell on ebay or pond shop

15. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

Any more info? Guys? Guys??!! Guys!!!!???? NOOOOOO!!!! Don't leave me here! Alone! NOOOOOO!

16. bddarkman

bddarkman Regular member

the new v8 is coming soon it has progressive scan and better dvd rom to read dvd-+r rw

17. ModTech

ModTech Guest

I just bought a v7 PS2 and Magic 3.1 modchip, are you telling me that with that modchip install in that system it will not work? Easybuy2000 sold the modchip 3.1 to me with the installation manual for v7 PS2.

18. bddarkman

bddarkman Regular member

so far there are about 6 or 7 games that double check on v7.

there is a work around if you eject disk just before it checks(after intro and some save game spots)game will work fine.

19. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

bddarkman, do you know the exact date that v8 is coming out? If you don't, do you know the month.

20. ICEPIMP

ICEPIMP Regular member

Magic 3.1 will work on V7 but it will not play double check games... but only a few games use V7 new double check technology.. but i would image that newer games will have double check