1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ps2 will not play cdr based games

Discussion in 'PS2' started by tkjalj, May 21, 2003.

1. tkjalj

tkjalj Member

A friend of mines ps2 will not play original or backup cdr based games. The only thing that happens is the drive makes alot of noise while the cdr based games are in it. It plays dvd based games(original and backups) fine as well as dvd movies(original and backups). Beats anything I ever seen. Anybody know why it is doing this. It has a magic3 in it.

Thanks

2. JoeDirt

JoeDirt Member

Put tape on the disc like this. (|o|). IF you can't understand that picture. On the outside of the middle parrelell to each other.

3. JoeDirt

JoeDirt Member

In case I wasn't clear. Put the tape on the side that the PS2 doesn't read. And if it doesn't work, clean the lens with a cotton swab of rubbing alcohol.

4. tkjalj

tkjalj Member

Thanks for the reply Joedirt. I like your name by the way. But I do not understand why it reads dvds fine and not cdrs. Looks like to me if the lens was dirty it would not play anything. Another thing I do not understand is why it makes the squealing sounds with a cdr and not a dvd. Makes no sense to me.

5. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

It's the burning speed that causses the noise.
    DVD 2.4x speed
    CD f.e. 10x to 32x speed

If you burn CD's at 1x or 2x the noise is almost not there anymore. Just a little

Last edited: May 22, 2003
  6. biglo

biglo Member

so what the fast a dvd can go? is x4 good

7. golden_35

golden_35 Regular member

CD-Rs dont play on my V4 magic 3.1 modded ps2 unless it is in sleep mode. If it is not in sleep mode, the screen just goes black and it hangs...try putting it in sleep mode...if you have magic...just turn the ps2 off so the red light is on. Then hold the red light so the ps2 turns on and hold that light until the blue tray light comes on...booyah its in sleep mode (to reset to mod dvd mode, just turn off power at the back)