1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 will not play DVD-R movies

Discussion in 'PS2' started by motoracr, Feb 10, 2004.

1. motoracr

motoracr Member

My PS2 will play DVD-R games perfectly with no-solder mod. DVD-R movies won't work at all, though they work fine in a friends PS2 and on all other players. Audio CDs, Real DVD games and movies work, CD-R backups work. Everything but DVD-R movies! Please Help!

2. alpha_tot

alpha_tot Member

I have an idea, how bout you go buy a dvd player for 30 bucks and use it...

3. motoracr

motoracr Member

Thanks buddy. Obviously that;s a simple solution, I'm more curious as to why my unit won't playthe disks. I hope everyone is as helpful as you alpha

4. motoracr

motoracr Member

Anyone have any suggestions of how I can restore DVD playability? I'd like to keep the PS2 as my player as it is convienient.

5. gozilla

gozilla Regular member

What exactly happens when throw in a burned DVD movie? does the ps2 give out an error message of some sort? Maybe the media you use for movies isn't one the PS2 likes. i with some media types on my ps2, the games work fine with [bold] Brand X [/bold], but movies dont work with the same brand.
    I would suggest trying different media, and also maybe difference types of DVD ie DVD+R/+RW and other veriants.
    Also it wouldn't be a bad idea to buy a stand-a-lone dvd player, as the quality is not only better, but it also puts less strain on the already weak ps2 laser. :p

6. motoracr

motoracr Member

I get a DRE error with my burned movies. They work fine on a friends PS2, but perhaps, my laser is just weak enough to not like them. Any suggestions for CHEAP stand alones?

7. vvha

vvha Member

Just about any stand-alone dvd player should suit your needs just fine if you were using a ps2 to play movies. The only brand I would stay away from is Apex. I had one and that POS broke down after maybe 6 months of light use.