1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 will not play PS2 CD roms (Purple Discs)

Discussion in 'PS2' started by fgv1977, Dec 12, 2003.

1. fgv1977

fgv1977 Member

My PS2 quit playing the PS2 CD rom games. It will still play PS2 DVD rom originals, PS2 DVD rom backups, PS1 originals, DVD movies, DVD movie Backups, Audio CD's and Audio Cd's on CDR's. The only disc's that it will not play is the PS2 CDrom games (purple discs). I use the Flip Top swap combo, so I have voided any warranty I might have. It quit playing the purple discs before I got the Flip Top. Does anyone know whats wrong?

2. fgv1977

fgv1977 Member

Just to clarify, when I try to play a PS2 CDrom game the laser makes a loud noise, and the game won't load. It also does the same thing when I try to use CD loader.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2003
  3. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

What version is your PS2? Sounds like the lens in it might be failing or need cleaning/adjustment.

4. fgv1977

fgv1977 Member

it is version 5 or 6 i believe, is it hard to adjust the laser? It's really weird that it will play every other type of disc like a charm with the exception of the PS2 CDroms.

5. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Yeah, that is a strange combination of symptoms. I've never tried to adjust the lens myself but I've seen a thread about here somewhere, try a search. Note that the procedure I saw I believe was for older PS2's only but check it out. I have successfully swapped a lens out before and corrected a similar issue.

6. fgv1977

fgv1977 Member

Do you think a laser cleaner might solve the prob, or would it likely not play any of the other games if this was the case? Also, off the subject do you know where there is a complete list of games that cannot be backed up using swap magic. I've found lists here and there but they are all incomplete. Thanks

7. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

A laser lens clean couldn't hurt and sometimes solves the problem. As far as a complete swap magic compatibility list goes, there's no such thing. Any list is only as complete as the day it was made and the games out at the time. What you see here is about as good as it gets and will likely be updated accordingly. I used the swap method for about a week before I got sick of it and just installed my no-swap Magic chip for those very reasons.

8. fgv1977

fgv1977 Member

And how is your compatability since? Don't you still have to use CD loader for some of the games or is it 100% compatible with all ps2 games. I've seen tons of people complaining about Soul Calibur II and Splinter Cell. Also, how do you install a modchip, It looks very confusiong to me. I don't even know what souldering is!!

9. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Everything I put in my machine works 100%. Splinter Cell does a double-check on a v7+ PS2 which was a problem with older Magic chips but is corrected with the Magic V I installed in mine, not sure about Soul Calibur II but again, works fine in my machine. If you're confused about installing a mod chip or soldering I suggest you don't attempt it yourself and get someone to do it for you. I've been doing electromechanical assembly has a hobbie for a few years and was able to pull it off after wrecking a few units.

10. fgv1977

fgv1977 Member

Do you think I could find someone locally or would I probably have to send my machine off somewhere. I live near Atlanta some I'm sure they is someone out there that could fix it for me. Do alot of video game stores install mods?

11. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

I'm sure there's somebody there that can probably do it. In the past, I've come across independent video rental stores that have done it. Also check any place that sells import games for PS2. They usually do mod installs but don't advertise it for obvious reasons.

12. martynste

martynste Regular member

i got exactly the same problem. i had my ps2 v4 modded for 2 years and its decided its not going to play ps2 cd roms. ii've given it back to the mod man. he replaced the laser still no joy. he has tried everything but connot get the dawn things to play. he went on a website to do with electronics, the man suggested it was something to do with thickness and length of the earth cable. i don't know if this helps as i have a different ps2. i getting my ps2 back on monday after he's tried this.

13. fgv1977

fgv1977 Member

I'm just gonna buy a damn new one from the pawnshop, and sell mine to a friend for half of what I pay at the pawnshop. I really don't think that selling a friend a ps2 that only plays DVD roms for $30 is ripping them off. I will tell them ahead of time, of course. Most of the games are DVD roms anyway.

14. Maryela3

Maryela3 Guest

hehe why don cha come here www.chipinstallation.com