1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 won't boot some games

Discussion in 'PS2' started by conny119, Jun 21, 2004.

1. conny119

conny119 Guest

my mate's PS2 won't boot up play DVD based games but it'll play CD based games, does any one know what the problem with it is, oh and it's not modded or anything

2. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Sounds like the DVD lens is either dirty or has failed. If you haven't modded it call Sony and they might offer to replace it even if it's out of warranty as how it's a known issue to them.

3. conny119

conny119 Guest

can you buy replacement a DVD lens.

4. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

There are some shops on the Internet that sell parts but Sony will probably replace it for free if you haven't modded the machine.

5. conny119

conny119 Guest

i've asked my friend and he want's to try and fix this himself. do you know if it's hard to replace?

6. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

I've done one before and I'd say it's moderately difficult. It involves disassembling many smaller components held together with eyeglass size screws. I still say it would be cheaper and less hassle to call Sony and see if they'll take care of it. The only reason I replaced the one I did was because I already had a laser laying around. If you choose to buy one off the Internet you'll need to know which version PS2 you have and will end up spending around $70 US.

7. conny119

conny119 Guest

thanks for the help mate