1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ps2 wont open and laser wont move. help?

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by phoball, Jun 6, 2007.

1. phoball

phoball Member

so yea, my ps2 wont open. when i press the eject the blue led will just keep on blinking and the disc tray wont pop out. also, my laser wont move along the two rods. it will just sit in one place. i checked all the cables and they seem to be fine. i also open up the motor thingy that opens the ps2 and all those white gears are fine. any solutions?
    btw i do have a modchip installed but that shouldnt effect any of this i believe
    thanks

2. phoball

phoball Member

also the disc will not spin when i press reset.

3. BadBone

BadBone Guest

Even though u say that u checked all the cables, i still believe that one of em is either out or broken. I had the same problem with my V9 PS2, it turns out that it was the cable of the motor that spins the Disc.

If you have the game opened up check to see if the laser lights up when you press the reset button.

remember do not look from above the laser and do not stare at it when it lights up.

If it does light up then turn off the game from the main switch and see if you can get the tray opend manually, do not just pull it out (on my game there is white arm under lens unit, all i have to do is pull it sideways with a knife.) If you manage to get it out then turn on the switch at the back and press the reset button and see if the tray comes in by itself, if it doesn't then check to see if the little white gears spin at all.

Post up and tell me whats going on; also what version PS2 do u have?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2007
  4. buscando6

buscando6 Member

I have now the same exactly problem. PS2 V9 with DMS4 modchip working from more than two years. I was using the ps2 with HardDisk the last week and when I tried to eject the disk nothing happened! It was before perfectly working. Tried to reset, opened and checked the mechanical of the tray without finding any trouble.
    I found one fuse (small electronic component with "30" on the top near the DVD connectors)that seams broken. I'm not really sure about it but maybe can help. Someone can help me. Thanks

5. BadBone

BadBone Guest

mabye what you found is the problem, you can try getting a replacement fuse and solder it back on

coincidentally, i was looking up the same thing and came about this diagram

[​IMG]

it shows that PS12 (which is marked 30 like u said) is the fuse responsible for the spindle.

if you can't get a replacement fuse, then you can just put a piece of solder across the fuse to link both ends or solder a piece of wire to both sides of the fuse.

But remember that the fuses are there for protection, and if you bypass the protection with the wire or the solder your board will be vulnerable to overcurrent and mabye you could damage one of your ICs sometime in the future.

For me personally, i don't mind, i've had my V9 PS2 for a good 5 years now, i am willing to bypass the fuse.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2007
  6. phoball

phoball Member

cool cool. ill try to fix it sometime
    thanx

7. BadBone

BadBone Guest

I took a shot last night and tried the trick that i suggested to you and it fixed the problem that i had with mine, turns out it was the very same FS12 that stopped my cd from spinning. All i did was bend a piece of solder across the top of the fuse and soldered to to both sides. I put a piece of tape over it just to make sure it doesn't touch any other metal parts.

Now i'm back playing my favorite games again :)

You never know what you can do until you try. Hope it works out for you too.

8. buscando6

buscando6 Member

Thanks for your information. Unfortunately your solution didn't help me. I connected a wire between the two side of the fuse (as per your suggestion) but the motors don't work. The spinning motor doesn't move and the try doesn't open when the blue led blinks.
    Any other idea about? Do you have the electric drawing of the PS2 board where I can see the electrical connections and maybe understand the possible problem? Waiting for your soon replay.
    Thank again.

9. ps2modgod

ps2modgod Guest

Do you have any video or audio or just a black screen?

10. buscando6

buscando6 Member

The game on the Hard disk are running without any problem!
    Only the DVD doesn't react!

11. KiNtArO01

KiNtArO01 Guest

u probably got a bad ribbon cable

12. raiderj

raiderj Regular member

You can test those fuse points with a multimeter. If you do find a bad fuse, LMK which one and I might have a replacement I can send you.

Definitely double check your cables!