1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 won't play PS2 backup games! Help! Please!

Discussion in 'PS2' started by im_etten, Jul 12, 2003.

1. im_etten

im_etten Regular member

Ok...I have been trying to figure out what the hell is going on and I think I narrowed it down. Here is what I have: I have a Magic 3.6 w/ chip clip. I installed it and it seems to work ok.. I can play some of my PS One backups but not all of them. I tried to burn a PS2 backup that is CD and another of DVD format using Easy CD Creator 5, Easy Cd Creator 6, Clone CD, & Alcohol 120. None of them work. But if I burn a PS One game with ECDC 5 or 6 it will work fine. So to narrow down my issue to see if it is my fault burning the discs or if it is my PS2 I bought a backup off a website and they guarantee it to work and had tested it. I got it and of course it did not work. I am using the booting methods described by pressing reset from stand by, and I also tried holding reset down until the blue eject light comes on and it still did not work. So here is what I need to know. Do I need to adjust the laser or is there a connection on the motherboard that is specifically used to control the PS2 games? I heard something about the "W" connection and that you should use the alternate for that point. Do I need to also make the ground wire thicker & shorter as some threads suggest? I am at my wit's end here... please help..

2. im_etten

im_etten Regular member

Can someone please help? I am having a kind of the same issue as IDecay.. sort of.. so I am sorry if I posted it again.

3. Shindou

Shindou Member

I dont use the magic 3.6 but I have seen a lot of post with problems associated with the 3.6. Although I wont be of much help I can tell you it the chip itself. There seems to be a problem with the clip it doesnt connect right or loses the connection why everyone I see recommends the 3.1 cuz even people that did get it to work had problems with it later down the line and posted again.

4. im_etten

im_etten Regular member

Can you but a 3.1 that uses the same chip clip? Does the 3.1 function the same as the 3.6?

5. Shindou

Shindou Member

Yes the 3.1 is similar to the 3.6 except without the clip you have more pts to solder why it better cuz then there is no chance of you losing the connection. Problem with 3.1 lies in that it not an easy job, best left to a professional with a guarantee that they will get it to work and pay you if they fuk up your ps2 in the process. But why not just use the swap magic disk and swipecard/fliptop method. Yeah it requires swapping disk not a big deal unless you always changing games every 10 minutes. After all you dont have a v7 the swap magic disk will work for all your games just some require cdloader.

6. im_etten

im_etten Regular member

Can I use the chip clip from the 3.6 on the 3.1? Aren't the solder points the same on both mod chips with the chip clip?

7. Shindou

Shindou Member

Yep the 3.6 is just a 3.1 with a clip. You can remove the clip and do a 3.1 installation just know that it requires more pts to be solder.

8. mladen85

mladen85 Guest

i have a magic 3.1 red mod chip not a problem yet only ps1 games that are burned at 2x cd have a problem to slow, if u want ps1 games burn them at 8x minumim with clonecd or 120 alc. Ps2 games i use prassi primo 2.0 not a single problem with dvd5s i make iso.'s first from that i burn using tdk dvd-r media not a single problem make sure u know the right booting prosidure n e more questions feel free to ask.. (burner Pioneer Ao5 dvd-5)

9. im_etten

im_etten Regular member

Ok... I am posting this because I got my PS2 WORKING!! As I started this post I couldn't play PS2 backups. So here is what I did... I cleaned the laser and that still did not help. So then I kept searching for an answer and I tried this. I have a V4, and the screw that is on top of the laser sled that tightens it down to the rail, I marked that screw with white out to make sure I knew where I started. I then turned the screw abour 1-2 degrees clockwise and I tried it and all of my PS2 backups worked!!! Thanks for the help and thanks to all who posted the PS2 forums to give me some ideas. The only thing now is I still can't play all my PS One backups. I am not really worried about it since I still have my PS One.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2003
  10. im_etten

im_etten Regular member

Last edited: Jul 13, 2003
  11. im_etten

im_etten Regular member

Another thing I found was that on my V4 I need to press down on the console right above the center of the cd tray to get my backup games to load. FYI.

12. dvdps2

dvdps2 Regular member

i tried burning a ps2 game with prassi primo and i got an error saying "Disc copy terminated with errors. Command:BE Sense:05 ASC:64ASCQ:00. Thanks for any help.