1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ps2 wont read clear disc

Discussion in 'PS2' started by dan2977, Apr 30, 2007.

1. dan2977

dan2977 Member

i have a ps2 that i am using swap magic 3.6 on. i know the swap magic disc work because i use the on another ps2. the problem is that now my ps2 will only play original disc that are blue on the data side. the clear ones such as swap magic will not even read they spin then stop and read disc error. i tried to clean the lens with alchol and q-tip but to no avail. when i say blue on the data side example (pk duck), the clear ones such as swap magic and any dvd disc. please help.

2. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

So basically what you are saying is you tested your Swap Magic 3.6 disc on another PS2 and have it operational there; however, the problem you're having at the moment is getting this particular PS2 to read your SM disc or any original PS2 game disc that has a silvery color on its data side; moreover, this particular PS2 you are having trouble can only read blue colored games like RTK7 or Growlanser Generations -- which are basically PS2 CD based games? Well, if that's the case (had to do that for my own reference, sorry), answer the following questions:

1. Did you recently get your SM 3.6 disc?
    2. If you answered yes from the previous question, then how old is your PS2 and how often have you been using it?

Since you've verified it yourself that the SM disc has worked properly (though I'm only assuming), then the answer may very well be your PS2 solely and nothing else. Your PS2's laser must be so worn down that it's having trouble reading any PS2 DVD-based games but not the CD-based PS2 games, since, from what I've read, your PS2 can't play/read BOTH your original games or Swap Magic at all. If this is the case, you simply either need to replace the laser or get another PS2. I'm also assuming, from what you've said so far, you have an old fat PS2, maybe a v5/v6.

Btw, for your information, by CD-based PS2 games, I mean those blue-colored disk which are either less than or around 700 mb. By silver, those are DVD games which are usually range between 1 gig or a few.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2007
  3. dan2977

dan2977 Member

thank you z3120 for your quick response.
    i tried a cd disc in the ps2 and worked fine, but no dvd or ps2 game will work. that probally means this ps2 needs a new laser? is there anything else i can do?

4. lanepwnu

lanepwnu Regular member

heres what you do..

open your ps2
    move white cog behind laser 1 tab (you will know what im talking about when you see it)

it should work if not do 2 and so on but i suggest you make a mark where its original position was in case it doesnt work anymore. btw i dont remember which direction it was but you want the laser to move up