1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 won't read disc - I want to confirm before I try...

Discussion in 'PS2' started by beltline, Mar 25, 2005.

1. beltline

beltline Regular member

Okay my sons friend has a normal PS2. Nothing has ever been done to it. No flip top, no modding, no swap magic, etc. When he puts any type of game or DVD into it, it looks like it starts to read the disc for about one second (it saids "reading disc" I believe?). Then nothing happens. It just sits there with what I think is the memory card icon on the screen? I read where you could adjust the laser and clean the laser by taking it apart. What I would like to know is should I even try this? OR is it hopeless? Or am I even on the right track? I have no problems opening one up, I've done it before, but since it is my sons friend PS2. I want to be sure before I try...

Thanks,
    beltline

2. superstui

superstui Regular member

well if the disk says exactly "disk read error" with more then one game, the laser might need some adjustment. You're right "DRE's" (disk read error) usually are because the laser needs cleaning, adjustment, ect.

3. beltline

beltline Regular member

With the several PS1 and PS2 games I have tried, the "Disc Read Error" message never has popped up? It just saids "reading disc" for about a second on boot up, then nothing? Anyone ever have this happen? At least with a "Disc Read Error" I would be sure the laser is trying to work, but not sure if the laser is even working now?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2005
  4. lhack

lhack Member

I am pretty sure ,since no one has told you yet,that you do need to alter it, I just bought games x copy,have 321 platinum,nero ,and they all do the same ,I'm looking at the flip top magic,seems to be highly recomended

5. beltline

beltline Regular member

These are NOT copied games. The PS2 is doing this with regular games.

6. lhack

lhack Member

well then its beyond me,.sorry,have a good warranty?

7. Retuos

Retuos Member

laser cable come out?

8. beltline

beltline Regular member

How would you know if the laser cable came out? Is there a easy way to look?

9. Wolf873

Wolf873 Member

It might be the laser that is giving you that problem, if ur saying that it won't read any sort of Disc, DVDs or Games, even after u have tried cleaning the laser, u can assume that the laser is damaged, u need to get ur Ps2 repaired.