1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ps2 wont read disc

Discussion in 'PS2' started by bbhswr, Jun 17, 2007.

1. bbhswr

bbhswr Member

everytime i put a disc in muy ps2 it says reading disc for 3 seconds than stops and says no data the same thing even if there is no disc what do i do?

2. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

You should really be more specific. What PS2 version do you have? Check here. Is it a fat or slim PS2? Has your fat PS2 been fitted with a customized flip-top? What games are you even trying to play or what type for that matter? Are the games you trying to play originals -- store bought --, backups or imports? What type of disc are they? If they're backups, what DVD media brand are they and what's the media ID of them when you read them using DVD Decryptor? Check here. If they're original games, is the data side of the PS2 game blue-colored or silver?
    Just what game are you trying to play exactly and how many games have you tried so far?

All I know is you have a laser problem out of most of what you've said. Provide as much information as you can so all these questions don't have to occur.

3. bbhswr

bbhswr Member

i have a flat ps2, i've been using sports games such as madden, ther weren't copied i bought them or anything but it says reading disc for 3 seconds than says no data

4. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

What version is your slim PS2? I think you could possibly have a v12. Check my previous post and check for what version. If you do indeed have a v12, then it's possible your laser has begun wearing out. Since you aren't playing copied games, how long have you had your PS2? What condition are your games and have tried all of them? If you have, are these sport games the only problems you're having trouble with or what?

5. bbhswr

bbhswr Member

yea i have the v-12 i have had the ps2 since 2003 and i have only sports games so i would'nt know if it's only sports games do you know the answer to this

6. bbhswr

bbhswr Member

i heard that you should take the wheel that goes in your cd when you close the tray you should unscrew that and clean it what do you think

7. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

It didn't sound like you needed to clean your laser although you could try. I think your laser is probably getting worn out/dying out hence the unsuccessful number of times you couldn't boot up your games. Since you don't have another PS2 to try your games out, which I would suggest you do when and if you get the chance, the only alternatives I can really think of would be to clean your laser like you suggested (although I doubt this is the problem) or you can think about getting a laser replacement. I heard the v12 laser is the most fragile out of all slim PS2's laser because of the v12 laser fix you should get if you ever do decide to mod it or just get one in general.

Edit: I personally have a v15 slim PS2 but the only thing I really hate about it at the moment is the overheating issues that plague it. I would consider looking at a place like teammodders.com if you live in the U.S. for a laser replacement if you're thinking about getting one. Teammodders is a highly recommendable and reliable site regarded around this forum as one of the best. Personally, I play to replace my old fat PS2's laser but not for sometime but eventually. As for what you can do, the only thing I think cleaning your laser will do at this point would be prolonging its demise and just squeezing out every ounce of the laser's life as much as you can although it helps extremely if you clean the dustiness around and in your PS2 because dust can hamper performance if you don't bother cleaning your slim PS2 for awhile and if it's in an open space.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2007
  8. bbhswr

bbhswr Member

do you have any instructions on how to clean the wheel that goes in the disc or to clean the laser