1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ps2 wont read disks?

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by babymmm, Mar 1, 2005.

1. babymmm

babymmm Member

when ever i boot up my ps2 i get the browser menu and then it doesn't go anywhere or do anything? i took it apart and started it up ...then the disk just starts to spin ...like for .10 of a second. enought to just move the disk about and inch and then nothin the laser moves but thats it.nothin tried different games etc, etc but still natta?....could it be the white cog or sumthin? or a bad laser or motor?

2. philipman

philipman Regular member

yeah try to turn the white cog, or try to clean the laser.

3. JRoland

JRoland Member

Sounds like a "Disc Read Error." If I were you, I would google exactly that. Also, you may want to first determine what PS2 version you have. To do this, locate the label on the rear of your PS2. Specifically, look that digits following the SCPH Prefix.

I don't think you'll have any problem finding a good "how-to" with illustrations to help you.

Also, on a related note, even if this fixes your system, you'll only get about 6 more months out of it - if you're lucky. But, if this DOES work, at least that will buy you some time to come up with the $40 or so dollars for a new laser.

Good Luck!

4. DnugZ79

DnugZ79 Member

i got the same problem and iv looked everywhere and cant really find a solution for the problem, has anyone else been able to fix this.