1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ps2 won't read written DVD9

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by Vejitto, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Vejitto

Vejitto Member

I ran into this problem after burning a backup copy of a DVD9 game (Xenosaga). It worked with the technique that divides the DVD9 to DVD5s, but when burning to a dual layered disc, I get the red screen on the console.

The driver is a BenQ DW822A, firmware is currently B3YC, set to DL writing mode, and I used DVD Decrypter to burn the image at 2.4x on a Verbatim DVD+R DL. It went through the process without an error. I verified and tested the DVD with DVDInfoPro and it recognised as a PS DVD, with two layers.
    After putting it into the PS2, however, it couldn't boot up, no matter what I did. PS2 is a slimline V12 (SCPH-70004, so, it's PAL), and I was told the modchip in it is called "ICE" (I couldn't find much about this either, I guess it's not a good sign). I don't know much about PS2 and modding, but up until now it played the DVD5s and movies fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated because I can't even begin to guess what the problem could be. I tried to search for answers, but I couldn't find much (english is my second language and I find it hard to understand this stuff even in my native). My PS2 was originally modded to play import games and I ordered Xenosaga yesterday anyway, but I really want it to get it work (I usually backup my original games so the real DVD won't get all used up).
    Thanks in advance,
    Vejitto

2. gianmh

gianmh Member

What is the process if burning xenosaga to dvd5's

Thanks

3. matty8887

matty8887 Regular member

Sounds to me that whatever chip you got in your ps2 doesnt support dvd9 backup dvd's. Take it back to the place and ask them about it.

4. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

I definitely agree with matty8887, the chip must not be compatible with dvd-9 backup games. I have never heard of the "ICE" modchip for ps2? The only chip I can think of that has the word ICE in it is the Xenium ICE ModChip, but that's for an xbox. Here is a link to compatible dvd-9 modchips, but the ICE is not in it....

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/154111

5. Vejitto

Vejitto Member

Thank you for the answers. I took matty8887's advice and took it back, where they said the chip's full name is Magic ICE and technically it should play DVD9, except in this case it doesn't.
    Another question if I may, can a PS2 get re-modded with another modchip, or if one is put in then it's permanent?
    Thanks in advance,
    Vejitto

6. matty8887

matty8887 Regular member

Ye you can get your ps2 re-modded.

7. Vejitto

Vejitto Member

Thank you, I'll just do that. I hope with the link PimpDawg posted I can get it done good this time. Once again, I'm grateful for all your help.

Vejitto