1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2's frying on purpose??

Discussion in 'PS2' started by syntax101, Apr 27, 2005.

1. syntax101

syntax101 Member

Ok, I admit to being a bit stumped. I recently acquired a new slim PS2 for my birthday. I have yet to do anything to alter it or change it in any way. However, I am uncertain which direction to go in. From what i've read on many forums, included those at Afterdawn.com, it seems that even with no mods the slim PS2's are having their lasers burn out faster than people can keep up with replacing them. It also seems that there is some alteration or modification involving the motherboards in the PS2 slim due to the rediculous number of complaints, problems, and issues with the DMS 4 lite/pro modchip, which is supposed to be rated the best mod chip you can get for a PS2.

Perhaps there is something that has yet to be caught by people who do mods, or something they are simply overlooking here? Is it not concievable that Sony, being one of the biggest companies in the RIAA and one of the loudest companies grumbling about piracy and such....is it not concievable to think that maybe....just maybe....Sony has done something to this little slim PS2 that people AREN'T being told about? Perhaps some subtle change on the motherboard or some hard to notice change in wiring or circuits on the board, or even the CD/DVD drive itself..........that makes it so the PS2 detects the existance of a mod chip and/or detects the use of SwapMagic/flip-top/slide card.........and simply MAKES it fry itself when you try to use these methods for playing backups? Sony has never supported the use of even make legitimate backups of games you already own real copies of, even back in the PSX/PSone days, they fought against it, and made changes to each new model of PSX/PSone that was sold to try to prevent it.

Doesn't anyone remember back in the days of the NES(Nintendo Entertainment System).....yeah the oldschool 8-bit one.... Nintendo was eventually busted for placing a security chip in their unit that fried them whenever you tried to use a non-standard....i.e. non Nintendo created...game in them. The security circuit sent a small electric "zap" to the components inside the NES if you tried to use a "unofficial" game in them. Remeber the black cartridge NES games that had the odd shape to them? Gauntlet for the NES is a good example of this. Those were made by a competing company and were not made with Nintendo approval or using Nintendo authorized components. So....Nintendo's response? The all too well known BLINK SCREEN OF DEATH. So, even if you borrowed, rented, or purchased one of these "non official" games, the security chip kicked in and ZAP.........Fry.....Sizzle......you have a non-working NES.

Why is it so hard for people to imagine that years later........with technology FAR advanced beyond back during NES days that Sony....one of the largest companies standing against piracy in the RIAA/MPAA might just happen to have a little something people aren't noticing inside their PS2's that are frying them when people open the case in certain way, or try using swap cards or slide cards or just try to play a burnt disk in the first place? Given the rediculous number of problems people have had with the PS2 Slim, and even the previous model or two of PS2, I don't only thing it's possible... I think its pretty much garunteed to be something along those lines.

Problem is, no one is doing the one thing they should be doing to check this out. No one is getting their hands on the original V1 and V2 PS2's and dissasembling them to look at all the pieces and parts inside them to see if there is something blatant and easily noticible, or just something really obscure and well hidden, that shouldn't be in the new PS2's but is in them? Tell you what, go find someone who has at least a bachelors degree in electronics engineering, and have them do a feature, circuit, and part comparison of each of the major PS2 builds. I bet he/she will find some very interesting things that aren't being made public by Sony on the insides of the new PS2s.

Incidently........do people have short memories anymore or something...... No one remember the famous "laser fry" burnouts that happened constantly with the original Playstation systems that were built? This happened FAR TOO MANY times for it to just be an accident. Especially seeing as how those who used the original "plug-in the rear port" hardware style GameSharks, had it happen often. It's worth looking into at the very least. However, for the time being, I am taking my PS2 back to the store and exchanging for an Xbox. At least those can easily support hard drives(which the slim PS2 does not), and can be software modified to play backups without having to rip the case to shreds and void warrenties to solder chips into them.

2. Raziaar

Raziaar Member

I suppose something like this could be true... though I wouldn't know. I've never modded my ps2, though I am looking to do it after I get done with my X-box.

I'm sure though, if there was something like this, maybe these guys who seem to be experts on the PS2's would be able to detect these sorts of things? Hrm.