1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS3 back ups?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by jerred121, Apr 5, 2007.

1. jerred121

jerred121 Regular member

I'm completely ignorant when it comes to PS3 and PS3 backups but I saw some PS3 game torrents (not that i partake or condone pirated software or games in anyway-just so we're clear) and i didn't think that PS3 games were being backed up yet. Maybe i'm just stupid or out of touch but if this is true, do you need a bluray burner or do you run the games off of a hdd or other media? what kind of software or loaders are required in general?

I'm thinking about getting a ps3, and being able to backup my games would would be a massive determining factor. I didn't spend much time researching this so i appologize for my lack of effort in doing so, but it would be cool if someone could provide me with some info or a link. thanks

2. justin410

justin410 Member

yoj can play backups yet ther are simpply rips using sak not playable

3. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

To be honest I think you will need a Blu-Ray burner,and dumping the games through linux is only getting a portion of the games.I'm just giving you all my thoughts,cause from what I can tell from looking at the torrents is the fact that there are some that average out to PS2 game sizes 5gb(this is a clue they can't be the right size).If the game is on a Blu-Ray disc(25gb-50gb) I would assume they will use more than the size of a PS2 game.The High Definition videos can take up 5gb just by themselves.I would recommend waiting before getting any of these files,because they might not even be good dumps of the games.

4. jerred121

jerred121 Regular member

i don't know because a lot of the isos, while compressed, are up to 15 gigs! but most of them are 4-7 gb i haven'y been about to find any info about this. the thread called "first ps3 back up" or whatever it's called is way too long to look through and a lot of it is off topic. what is "sak"?

5. justin410

justin410 Member

its a program called swiss army knife it allows u to have full accest to ur ps3s blu ray drive

6. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

Your information is totally incorrect L-Burna. Some games are smaller than 5 gb because of the content of the game, take Fight Night Round 3 for example. As for the dumps they have been confirmed/unconfirmed that they work via Paradox, I say this as their loader has not been released (probably not be anyway) but they have said they work (on their end at least) since they have released MULTIPLE iso's.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2007
  7. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Well I can't give you all the information I know,because I just can't for multiple reasons.The problem is the format of the harddrive itself,it is in FAT32 and if you think about it.The harddrive has a restriction level,so your not getting the whole game but a portion.I have nothing against Paradox,but I can't confirm any PS3 image dumps are legit.Dumping games through Linux is not helping as I explained the reason why.You can't extract the full image with a harddrive in FAT32,because you will only get a portion of the game.A Blu-Ray burner/reader has the potential to dump the image without messing with the format of the PS3 harddrive,but lacks support since they are real expensive at the moment.

8. ukgtitch

ukgtitch Member

There are full game images of 15gb on the internet released by groups and in private locations they have HD Loaders already, they are just not releasing them due to Sony firmware updates which can patch them., so they're working on them, sticking a hard drive in a console for loading games is asking for trouble from Sony and Xbox as they already have done the xbox360 already.

9. justin410

justin410 Member

you know i must know what is the issues being in fat 32 this only says that each secter has 32 kilobytes and is campatible to 2 terabytes if im not mistaken. so can you tell me why this opays a factor. btw im not sayin your wrong just want to know as you are the first person to say anything about it

10. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

FAT32 cannot handle single files over 4 GB if i remember correctly...
    Burna's on a roll here.

11. janrocks

janrocks Guest

hey hey hey.. go burna..

The maximum possible size for a file on a FAT32 volume is 4 GB minus 1 Byte (2^32−1 bytes)

Pedantic... I know, but precision is everything eh?

I just have the feeling that these iso's are like the first 360 disk dumps. You can burn them on a disk to investigate the file structure and what not.

I have a few thoughts on the subject myself (I don't care 2 hoots about the ps3 or 360, but it's fun to speculate)

Why are these groups releasing iso's.. maybe because they are stuck in the mindset of the ps2 and psp hackers with iso loaders and such?
    There is no proof that an isoloader is really the way forward, all it does is create a virtual drive and then mount the iso on it as a virtual disk file system. A few tweaks to the executable can do away with the need to have iso's and have the "whatever" run from a folder full of files.. just thinking it is seeing a disk..
    Just like when you mount an iso and open it.

Thoughts?

12. Oner

You guys go it totally wrong because of misinformation. The dumps are done multiple ways for example, to an external HD that is either Ext3 or to an NTFS HD on a PC via the network (no 4gb limit). The dumps do not go to the Fat32 extension on the XMB side in any way...if someone even has a 60 gb PS3 it CAN be dumped to itself via the Linux side and then copied over to a PC for whatever.

Edit: Fix typo

Last edited: Apr 12, 2007
  13. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

You mean ext3 right,well here is why it won't work in ext3:

EXT3

ext3 filesystems cannot be fscked while the filesystem is mounted for writing. A dump of the filesystem taken while it is mounted read-write may result in corrupt data within the dump file.(note take this into consideration alright,I can supply more information why ext3 won't work)

FAT32

Size limitations restrict you from dumping the full image of a PS3 game as mentioned earlier.

Streaming or transferring through network

There is no server that runs on a NTSF system yet,only ext3 and FAT32 are supported with the PS3 SAK(Swiss Army Knife)program.Also taken from the readme supplied from PS3 SAK NTFS write support, its enabled, but is totally broken, crashes the PS3 (so it's hidden)"Whoops!" checks (to make sure the user isnt trying to back-up a Blu-Ray to the PS3 flash etc!) .If you are going to stream images by the way it would defeat the purpose of using an Iso Loader running off the harddrive on the PS3.You have to gain access to the XMB menu in order to run an Iso Loader,and there is no Iso Loader.All these groups that claim they have one are spreading around rumors,and none of them have supplied any information on how the supposedly Iso Loader works.If somebody actually extracted a firmware update,and modified the modules inside then I could see it possible.If you read up on it nobody can crack the encryption of a PS3 firmware update,because it is impossible at the moment.That is the only way I see anybody gaining access to the XMB side of the PS3 or somebody that has connections and is able to get one of the PS3 SDK.

14. Oner

There is more to it than that that has not been released (info wise). As for networking (not streaming) you misunderstood what I was saying. I did not say to stream "games" to play over a network via a server etc., but transfer dumps over a network from an external HD on the PS3 Linux side OVER to a PC that utilizes NTFS (with the appropriate software to see Ext2/3 http://www.fs-driver.org/index.html) OR just hooking up the external HD to the PC and transferring/burning out the image OR via this command in Linux via a windows share

mkdir /mnt/share

mount //<shareip>/<sharename> /mnt/share -o username=user,password=xxx

dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/mnt/share/dump.iso

Last edited: Apr 12, 2007
  15. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

I didn't mean streaming as in playing them through a server or network connection,but just dumping the image in general.Streaming is when you use a server for the internal drive of the system,and transfer that way.Ext3 format is not the same as Ext2,so they are different bro.They are similar I agree,but they aren't the same thing.The PS3 SAK program is using streaming,but you are calling it networking.I'm sure it has networking in the program,but to create the image you have to stream it.The format of the PS3 harddrive makes a big difference,and the current formats that are supported for this program don't work.

Streaming
    Using a server that communicates to the internal drive of the system.

Networking
    Transferring using a shared connection between two computers or through an online connection.

Streaming and Networking are different,and this program uses streaming to create the image.You are misunderstanding me Oner,the format of the harddrive the program runs off of is wrong.The format of the harddrive has to be in a NTFS format in order to create a proper image.You can believe what you want to believe,but I promise you the images created with PS3 SAK are wrong.The only possible way at the moment is using an NTFS format harddrive and a Blu-Ray reader/burner drive on a PC.Ext3 reads and writes wrong,and FAT32 has size restrictions.

16. Oner

I honestly don't know what you are referring to with your posts....I never said Ext 2 and 3 are the same? I said it was a typing error (typo) and while I can't agree with your comment about

I will say this (in kind of agreement), only time will tell if the images are "proper" when a loader comes out as it is still "untested/unconfirmed" via a different party.

17. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Well we should probably get some snickers then,because I think it is going to be a very long time ;).I bet you ps2dev.org releases more information on the PS3 than any other group out there.PS2 Dev has given a bunch of information in the past for developing on the PS2.I have more faith in ps2dev.org than Paradox.

18. Oner

Oh, I agree with not putting too much faith into Paradox since there is no refutable proof from them.....it is nothing more than vaporware at it's best.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2007
  19. dpickett

dpickett Guest

Blu-Ray (PS3) Games:

Blazing Angels = 4.15 GB

Call Of Duty 3 = 6.7GB (7,154,827,264 bytes)

Fight Night: Round 3 = 4.28 GB (4,605,018,112 bytes)
    Formula One = 8.90 GB (9,563,602,944 bytes)
    Full Auto 2: Battlelines = 3.55GB (3,812,687,872 bytes)

Genji (US) = 12.2GB (13,103,923,200 bytes)

Madden NFL 07 = 7.08GB (7,597,719,552 bytes)
    Marvel Ultimate Alliance = 6.85GB (7,356,874,752 bytes)
    Major League Baseball 2K7 = 6.04GB (6,485,639,168 bytes)
    Mobile Suit Gundam Crossfire = 3.96GB (4,247,295,445 bytes)
    Motor Storm (JAP) = 11.9GB (12,793,610,240 bytes)

NBA 07 = 5.06GB (5,439,684,608 bytes)
    NBA 2K7 = 7.59GB (8,153,399,296 bytes)
    NHL 2K7 = 8.4GB (8,443,592,704 bytes)

Need For Speed Carbon = 11.5GB (12,431,458,304 bytes)

Resistance: Fall Of Man = 17.53GB (18,827,837,440 bytes)
    Ridge Racer 7 = 6.95 GB (7,471,366,144 bytes)
    Ridge Racer (JAP) = 6.95GB (7,471,366,144 bytes)

Sonic The Hedgehog = 7.9GB (8,521,499,472 bytes)

Tiger Woods 2007 = 7.19GB (7,365,525,504 bytes)
    Tony Hawk Project 8 = 5.10GB (5,489,950,720 bytes)

Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom = 8.27GB (8,880,652,288 bytes)

Virtua Fighter 5 = 4.30 GB (4,289,855,488 bytes)

Source - http://z6.invisionfree.com/PS3_HaX/index.php?showtopic=148

20. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

dpickett what does this have to do with what we are talking about,posting sizes of the games is off topic.Currently there is no proof of concept that these games are dumped proper.Read before you post,because your post doesn't contribute to what we are talking about.