1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS3 Cell/Grid PU chat

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Ender88, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Ender88

Ender88 Regular member

Wow, I just got through reading an engineers analysis of the STI (Sony, Toshiba, IBM) Group's patent on the Cell and some of the information he uncovered was simply amazing. I'll have to find the link again but I'm sure there are a ton of articles on the patent out there. Crazy specs though: 4.6 GHz.....1 cell will have the power of 5 P4s with 3.00Ghz, the PS3 will have 4 cells.....in-PU memory so there's no waiting for the main memeory to catch up (latency). The PC has won all of it's seemingly unbeatable battles against other systems so I won't hold my breath. Unlike all the other times it's won, the PC has no obvious advantages, except a lot of users (who will gladly switch if the price beats PC). Calculations show that it can complete a SETI@home unit in under 4 mins! for those of you who don't know.....your jaw should be on the floor. And it's planned to be scallable with other cell PUs in any machine, so that means if you have a computer with Cell, you can hook up your PS3 to it and pending which one you're using, the other will help. Man, when blenders start to come with Cell I'm having it pitch in (of coarse when I'm not making a smoothie, then my comp can help haha). I'll get on top of looking for that link.

2. epepper9

epepper9 Regular member

Thats good, I would like to see the link when you find it, thanks.

3. Ender88

Ender88 Regular member

4. epepper9

epepper9 Regular member

thanks I'll read it