1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS3 console heat question?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by skywatchr, Apr 21, 2007.

1. skywatchr

skywatchr Guest

My son just bought himself a PS3 and we've noticed it gets really hot. Is this normal or should he take it back? Thanks for any advice.

2. CoastLife

CoastLife Regular member

I just bought a PS3 too and i notice it gets a little hot where the air blows out but thats because it's blowing out hot air.

3. dansage

dansage Regular member

as far as ive looked, there have been no reported problems from overheating. unlike another console............... ;-)

4. Edgewise

Edgewise Regular member

it's very normal

5. tim6630

tim6630 Member

if you like,you can buy a USB fan which will work when the ps3 is on so it will keep the ps3 warm and it will not be hot.

6. Jlhfit

Jlhfit Regular member

Its pretty normal, just make sure its well ventilated..

7. jxt

jxt Member

My PS3 gets fairly hot as well around the air vent area. Don't think its a problem though. I left mine on for a full week and a half when I went on a short vacation (forgot to turn it off) and it still worked perfectly fine afterwards. Shouldn't be anything to worry about, as nobody I know has had overheating problems besides those PS3 in stores that store them in closed box things...

8. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

All electronic components get warm so relax and get the marshmellows out

9. alinares

alinares Regular member

lol ahahha how hot does it get like....really hot? can you heat up tortillas on it that hot? don't worry about.lol pretty soon there realesing fans for it to cool off check it out at gamestop.com

10. jesse286

jesse286 Regular member

I think it is a bit normal cause the ps2 got warm when you played it but from experience one system (wich will remain unamed) get hot really really hot really quick.

11. alinares

alinares Regular member

are you talking about the xbox 360?

12. jesse286

jesse286 Regular member

Maybe... ;)

13. cazer

cazer Regular member

ps3 does get hot and it does it fast. i have had mine since it came out and had it running longer then 24hrs and i have not had any over heating problems

14. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

Overheating in the thread title is the wrong term to be used in this description. Overheating means it will do damage or is damaged from the heat. Whereas what was described is just the heat that is being blown out of the system and is totally normal. Since that is the way it was engineered to keep the system running (properly if I might add compared to another system).

Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
  15. MDSP

MDSP Regular member

I guess they were just referencing the temperature from PS2 console... Since PS2 doesn't heat as mush as PS3 does... I just look at my PS3 as a compact PC... really small casing = less air flow

Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  16. DJGEOJOE

DJGEOJOE Regular member

I keep mine in a custom made entertainment center, the only thing that is open to fresh air is the front, the hot air from the sides goes into the large cabinet and keeps it toasty in there. I have had no overheating when playing games for hours or watching Blue Ray DVDs. I may move the PS3 so I can use the HDMI cable it is too short to reach the PS3 where it is now. I am using the discreet component cable (purchased form best buy) and the picture quality is great but someone told me that the HDMI would be better. Not sure if it will as my 65” Mitsubishi rear projection TV will not do 720p only 480i, 480p and 1080i. The 1080i games look great but the 720p games run in 480p or 480i not sure and look like the PS2. When I get a full HD TV for my bedroom I will relocate the PS3 there. Sorry off topic but does anyone know if the HDMI will help the 720p games look better in 480p on my TV? I don’t know why Mitsubishi would make a 65” that could do 1080i and not 720p. Perhaps I will do a search to see if I can mod my TV to do 720p >:)

17. ryanjafc

ryanjafc Regular member

you can buy double fan coolers for around £10 off ebay just clicks into your usb on the ps3 no extra cables used. look ok to.

Last edited: May 2, 2007
  18. DJGEOJOE

DJGEOJOE Regular member

This is strange; My PS3 magically came on yesterday when I was at work (My suspicion is the cat put his paw on the power button!). The PS3 was running in screen saver mode when I noticed it was on. It is still working and did not over heat! Granted it was not playing a game but at least I know it won’t die in the entertainment center if it gets left on over night.