1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS3 Controller Compatability?

Discussion in 'PS3' started by DeepMagic, May 9, 2011.

1. DeepMagic

DeepMagic Member

I've heard some stuff about some controllers not being compatible with certain firmware. Is this true? I just bought a PS3 with Firmware 3.55. Will any controller work with it? I need to know this before I buy one.

2. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

This one here works like an original.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/design...ireless-sixaxis-controller-for-ps3-blue-53717
    It also comes in a very good counterfeid packaging and with the Sony logo on it.

3. DeepMagic

DeepMagic Member

I've just purchased an original Sony controller. It should work with 3.55 firmware right? I see no reason why it shouldn't. I think the stuff about firmware compatibility has to do with the scam controllers from China. This is the impression I get from googling. Any confirmation on this would be much appreciated.

4. cazer

cazer Regular member

all ps3 controllers will work. i believe it was some of the mad catz that dont work

5. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

As far as I know some of the USB ones got blocked too.
    Sony just wanted to block as many 3rd party devices as possible to make more money.
    I like my blue one and I am on firmware 3.56 (PS3 came with it), so I am pretty sure it didn't get blocked.

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  6. DeepMagic

DeepMagic Member

I just bought a Sony dualshock sixaxis one from ebay. So judging by your comments it should work fine since it's a Sony brand. Bought it from guy in USA so probably not a scam. I guess the only compatibility issues are with 3rd party controllers. Damn Sony wants a monopoly.

7. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

If it is an original it is definitely going to work.

8. cazer

cazer Regular member

yes all sony controllers work. i got a white sony controller from japan before we had them here in the states and it still works.

9. gfcaetano

gfcaetano Member

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  10. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

11. cazer

cazer Regular member

12. gfcaetano

gfcaetano Member

Thanks, cazer.
    I've updated my PS3 to a newer firmware and it still works!

[ ]s!

13. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

Search for PS3 controller and you actually find something ;)
    Price is the same as Dealextreme, unless you order 20+ of them.

And by the way, only the red controller is cheaper at lightake than it is on dealextreme, all the other ones are more expensive (by the way, why am I defending dealextreme here?)

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  14. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

If you want to have the item without packaging it's cheaper on volumerates. With packaging it's way cheaper on dealextreme or lightake (and I'd always add these extra 64 Cents for a good packaging, I saw the condition the packaging was in when I got my controller, quite glad it was packed that way), also volumerates is quite confusing, because of them giving the wholesale price.
    Please next time don't alter the text you quote that much.
    By the way, are there more China sellers? I always like a good lot of shops for comparison.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  15. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

spammer spammed

16. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

PS2 controllers work with adapters...kinda...no PS button is a serious problem when using it as a second controller...it is a total killer when using it as a primary controller.

Several 3rd party usb controllers (including wireless units with USB dongles) have been blocked by newer firmwares.

In addition to this, several games have blocked certain 3rd party controllers by requiring signals be sent in a very specific way. With an original Sony controller, even if you click all the way down as fast as you can, it still reads the increase as a curve...and some games need this. Both Gran Turismo 5 and Fallout New Vegas will not respond to L2 or R2 unless there is a curve (yet they respond to all the other buttons without a curve, even tho they are analog too). This is a problem, as some 3rd party controllers have digital buttons for R2 and L2, making these games unplayable (you can remap GT5 to use different buttons, but there are not enough buttons on the controller to remap FNV to use neither R2 nor L2.)

17. jerry5134

jerry5134 Member

I have no experience buy from Dealextreme probably it has a little expensive.But I saw a sponsor link inps3hax.net has a better price. I am wondering who shop from there before?

18. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

If it is the place I am thinking of from PS3hax, they sell nothing but counterfeit hardware, pointless USB dongles, and hard drives full of pirated games.

19. jerry5134

jerry5134 Member

But I think lots of guys will get the point that is original products are very expensive so I would rather to buy the copy which are also durable and last long.

20. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member