1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS3 disc won't spin

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by inline, Feb 12, 2008.

1. inline

inline Member

Hello,
    The PS3 didn't read discs, so i opened it and I noticed it didn't spin the disc at all.
    Now the ribbon cable is good.

Do you have suggestions where i have to look?
    (Maybe a particular fuse or something?).

O and it doesn't have warrenty, so you don't have to talk about that:p.

Thanks in advance.

2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. grkblood

grkblood Regular member

there a laser assembly for the PS3 for like $60 bucks. as far as i know ive only heard about people using it to fix the 20 and 60 GB versions. If you have a 40 or 80 I would do a little bit more research. Here's the best priced one I could find.

http://store.richspsxparts.com/pl3laaskeke.html

Last edited: Feb 12, 2008
  4. inline

inline Member

Ok thank you very much.
    I think i will buy that.
    Or has someone things i have to check?

5. alex5857

alex5857 Member

Im thinking about buying one of these, i just took the ps3 apart, i had no warranty anyways.

but my question is are these hard to install?

and do you have any links to were people say they've used this to fix there ps3, ive googled but all i get is a bunch of foreign sites trying to sell these

6. INitewing

INitewing Member

I first tried rewinding my motor with no success. I bought an assembly and was able to fix mine. For the record it is the same assembly in the 80GB model as well. I haven't cracked open a new 40gb model yet so i can't comment on that.

If you are having trouble I can take mine apart again and snap some pics of putting it back together once my buddy gives my camera back. If need be i can take you through the entire disassembly process but I think you said you have done that already.

If you are out of warranty there is really no reason to not try this as getting a refurb back from sony costs 150 bucks. The best part about replacing the assembly is you can chunk the still good parts up on e-bay and make a pretty penny back.

7. onehanded

onehanded Regular member

I have the same problem
    I opened the blueray drive up and inserted the disk and no spinning
    On the top of the drive though there are 2 switches on the right hand side where the mechanism runs up and down,and another one a little further up.
    I noticed if I manually move the laser up to the top,that if I press the first 2 switches the laser will move back to the spindle.
    Also if I did that and pressed the little switch in further up as I pressed the others,that the blueray laser would light up.
    After all that I am thinking of getting the spinning mechanism for the drive.
    Has anyone else got any ideas?????
    Many thanks in advance