1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ps3 emulation

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by zooom1834, Jan 3, 2008.

1. zooom1834

zooom1834 Regular member

I have a 40gb ps3 and before giving me a straight up no

tell me whats missing in the ps3 40gb that cant play ps2 games

I know the emotion engine isnt there and its not there in the 80gb either (correct me if im wrong)

so if sony is using emulation in 80 gb why cant someone figure out how to use the emulation software in there on the 40gb

2. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

This has been answered in numerous threads recently and basically it cant run the emulation because it doesnt have the necessary hardware in it.

3. joshjy

joshjy Regular member

the 40gb is a piece of crap and a result of sony cutting corners to to save them money and thats why it cant play ps2 games.

4. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

Oh and this expands on why:-
    60GB and 20GB-Emotion engine-best emulation
    80GB and 60GB Euro-Modified processor to emulate emotion engine-not as good of emulation
    40GB-no emulation

5. zooom1834

zooom1834 Regular member

im curious what hardware is the 40gb missing

6. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

So am I as that is what I had been told - however Ive done some further searching and found the following:-

Luke Plunkett of Kotaku took it upon himself to contact Sony and find out just why the new version of the PS3 can't do backwards compatibility. Here's what he got told:

"The 40GB model, to be launched in Europe on 10th October, is a new model and is not equipped with any of the semi conductors from the PS2, and backwards compatibility would therefore have to be achieved by software emulation alone.

"The sheer numbers of PS2 titles available, together with the increased complexity of using a software only solution for each and every title means that to ensure accurate software emulation for the majority would be technically challenging, time consuming and costly. As we have mentioned on several occasions, our engineering resources are now focused on developing new and innovative features and services for the PS3 and, as a result the 40GB model does not have backwards compatibility with PS2 titles."

So it would appear its nothing to do with hardware - rather Sony thinking it would be too much hassle.

7. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

And further investigating is pointing to the fact that the first PS3s had an EE chip and a GS chip in them that did the emulating - the later PS3 had the EE chip but retained the GS chip and this along with software (to emulate the EE) gave them Backwards compatibility. However it is rumoured the 40g PS3 has also had the GS chip removed - and therefore thats why theres no BC.

But I cant find a definitive answer anywhere.