1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS3 file format and usb question

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by TheBazman, Mar 25, 2007.

1. TheBazman

TheBazman Member

Hi folks

can you tell me does the PS3 have a USB slot? Also what file format does it support? I have some movies on my pc which I would intend transferring to the PS3 hard drive - mostly held currently in mpeg/avi/mpeg4 format.

As an alternative - what is the best method to stream these files to the PS3 from the pc - what exactly would I need to do this?

Cheers

2. Mr_Pink

Mr_Pink Regular member

The PS3 has four USB slots. That information is very prevalent when reading up on the PS3.

I think every format that you listed is supported by the PS3. It also accepts many, many more.

The easiest method to get them onto the PS3 is a flash drive. I've seen 4 gig flash drives now so it shouldn't take too long.

3. DBM_Bones

DBM_Bones Regular member

I've transfered movies via a thumb stick, but only could get PS3/MPEG4 working so far.

Also external HDD's should work if in Fat32 mode.

4. TheBazman

TheBazman Member

Cheers guys - yeah I picked up a cheap 4gb flash key - it also does seem that it is mpeg4 that are supported (and not avi/mpeg)

5. brucehall

brucehall Member

My Seagate 400GB USB 2.0 drive does not work.

The most common solution is to format in FAT32, but mine came preformatted in FAT32, and still does not work.

6. Mr_Pink

Mr_Pink Regular member

^^ See if you can do it manually. Maybe that'll work.

7. brucehall

brucehall Member

Was hoping to avoid formatting the drive. It is already nearly full with all my media and PC backups...
    But if someone has already used that fix successfully, at least I know the effort will be worthwhile :->

Otherwise will have try that once I found some space to move all the data around.. it's not very quick, even on USB 2.0 (should have got the FireWire 800)