1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ps3 general questions

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by canuckerz, Jun 1, 2007.

1. canuckerz

canuckerz Regular member

Well I'm getting a ps3 on Thursday and Ive got a few questions so that I can get it up and running to its full potential asap (and preferably before exams =S).

Here's what Ive already figured out, ubuntu 7.04 is going on it, I need to upgrade the hard drive capacity internally/externally and buy a keyboard and mouse and a usb cooling fan among other things.

Anyway here's a few questions I have:

1. What hard drive(s) upgrade would you recommend IE. internal/external, size, type etc. (I'm planning on using it for jacking my friends ultra high speed and using torrents yay =D)

2. Any specific mouse/keyboard combo's that you find works particularly well with the ps3?

3. Ive heard that the ps3 etches an image in the TV after time from one of my friends, I'm pretty sure hes just full of crap but its nice to know.

4. About the cooling fan, Ive heard about the horror story with that damn nyco cooler and the 360, I'd just like to know if u guys know of one that works great and doesn't mess up the ps3 over time for sure.

5. Is it possible to hook up an external DVD burner to the ps3 and run it through ubuntu?

6. Any other suggestions or stuff I should get that you guys find good.

Ty in advance.

Edit: ACK didn't get paid for training time >=( now I gotta wait another 2 weeks till I can get the 60 gig ps3 =(

Last edited: Jun 8, 2007
  2. glenquag

glenquag Regular member

Well, for the external/internal HDD...if you know how to install it yourself then get a internal one because then it dosn't hang out there...and for those they have to be SATA and like 2.5" or somethin like that...but you can also get an External one for cheaper. Pretty much any keyboard or mouse will work, the best one for computer will work the best on PS3...you can go wireless too. I use a usb plugin reciever and then i have a wireless keyboard and mouse so...yeah. Get resistance fall of man too lol=P

3. canuckerz

canuckerz Regular member

Would installing a new internal hard drive void the warrenty?

4. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

1) Depends on how much money you want to spen compared to the size you want/need

2) I like the Logitech DiNovo line

3) ANY video feed that is paused will/can burn an image into a screen. The PS3's XMB has a filter that you can set to stop that.

4) There is no reason to get a fan or cooler.

5) Don't know but I don't see why not but would like to have a definitive answer myself

6) Extra controller and the BD Remote are good add-ons.

5. canuckerz

canuckerz Regular member

6. escalante

escalante Regular member

I don't think Upgrading the internal HDD will void your warranty. There's even instructions in the manual I think. LCD screens are less susceptible to the image etching thing I read somewhere. Also, the PS3 gets hot, but there's really no need for a cooling fan. As long as you keep it in the open (i.e. Not really close to walls or in a corner) the PS3 is supposed to be fine.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2007
  7. canuckerz

canuckerz Regular member

I'd still like to have an extra fan on it just to be sure, im just very suspicious of them cause of that nyco cooler and the 360. i figure a usb one would be fine, im just worried about it possibly drawing too much power from the usb port and messing up the usb slot.

Oh and is it true that you only get the memory card readers on the 60 gig ps3?

8. canuckerz

canuckerz Regular member

And what would you guys reccomend for a headset? I'd perfer to have a wireless one and ive been looking at the bluetooth ones. From what Ive seen on the fourms theres a lot of goods and bads about them =\ What headset would you guys reccomend?

9. ooZEROoo

ooZEROoo Regular member

from experiance the new nyco intercooler works fine instead of my ps3 getting hot the intercooler gets warm (not hot) i have a cheap wireless keyboard and mouse that work great and i have a dvd burner running through yellow dog linux so i dont see why it wouldnt work in ubuntu

10. glenquag

glenquag Regular member

Yes, you have to get the 60 gig ps3 if you want the card readers. Also the 20gig dosn't have wifi either. It's a better deal for the 60 gig.

11. canuckerz

canuckerz Regular member

No WiFi = Worthless these days indeed.

Ive been looking around for the largest 2.5 sata hard drive out there and the biggest one i can find is the 300gig one from Fujitsu and the 250 gig one from WD, atm I'm preferring the WD one because its 5400 rpm instead of 4800 rpm, unfortunately I still and find either of them on/at any of the major stores online =\ not even on amazon, eBay, tigerdirect, future shop, circuit city, the list goes on and on. Anyone else bother to look into them and actually find a retailer?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2007