1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ps3 hard drive question

Discussion in 'PS3' started by Estranged, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Estranged

Estranged Member

Hi there I just got my new slim! Now I need to put my old 250 gig hard drive back in. So do I have to do a system backup or can I just put the hard drive in and be done?

2. bigo93

bigo93 Regular member

PS3 hdds are encrypted to work only on the ps3 it was formatted by.

So if you now just place it in your new ps3 it will ask you to format it and you will lose everything.

So I hope your old ps3 is still working as you will only be able to make a backup from your old console. So if it is still working make a backup, then place the hdd in new ps3, when you do it will ask you to format the hdd and reinstall the firmware. When you finish installing the firmware you can then restore the backup onto your new ps3.

You will of course need another extrenal drive, probably about 20gb minimum of space in order to do the backup.

3. Estranged

Estranged Member

Thankyou for replying my old ps3 got yellow light of death. So I don't have the original. I got all my info on a external hard drive so I should be ok.

4. bigo93

bigo93 Regular member

I dont get what you mean by that.

Do you have a console with cfw on it and are talking about your backed up games on external. Or did you backup your old ps33 hdd before your old ps3 broke?

Becuase all your saved games and patches will be on the internal drive, and if you havent backed it up, you will lose all your saves.