1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS3 HDD upgrade - what is saved?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by JDreturns, Jan 6, 2008.

1. JDreturns

JDreturns Member

I have ordered a 250GB HDD for my ps3 to upgrade it.

My question is... I know I will lose my demos and games but I can just download those again...(no problem). I also know My user ID's and log-ons will also remain safe.

I dont have the option to copy/save my game data utility files (not to be confused with save data utility which I have already backed up).
    Will I lose the Game data utility files or will they stay? How are they different to save data and what will it mean if I do lose them?
    Secondly, what about my internal memory cards for my PS1 and PS2 game saves? Do I need to back those up too?

2. marcusita

marcusita Regular member

You will need to back up everything that you want kept safe.
    I think the game data utility files will appear on your new harddrive once you start playing the game again.As long as you have saved your game saves PS1,PS2 and PS3 you should be fine.

3. canuckerz

canuckerz Regular member

Data utility files are data that is put on that hdd from the disk in order to make the game run faster, and game updates. I wouldnt worry about loosing those, they're easy to replace.

But, any upgrades or packs you've dl'ed for games gets saved there as well, I've never purchased anything on the PS store so i don't know really how many times they let you re-download things.

4. NinReznor

NinReznor Regular member

i think it 5 times per ps3.
    you can put your account on 5 different ps3s so in all 25.

5. biggzi

biggzi Member

Well I thought that I would lose a lot of my settings etc. when I upgraded my HDD, but I didnt lose anything (not even downloaded games and demos) when I backed it up and restored it using the utilities under system settings. When I did that before to format my HDD I lost a lot of stuff, but this time I didn't lose any.