1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS3 HDMI QUESTION

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by RXV2300, Jan 2, 2008.

1. RXV2300

RXV2300 Regular member

Just got myself 80G PS3
    I know hdmi cable will carry both audio & video & it is defintaley needed to get true 1080P (yes I do have hdtv, Sony sxrd 55")
    My question, since hdmi cable also carries audio signal, would this be a digital signal similar to using optical cable for surround sound or do I need to use separate optical cable from PS3 to my reciever?

2. canuckerz

canuckerz Regular member

You can do either, though in order to use hdmi for audio and video using a receiver, you would have to have an input and and output hdmi slot on said receiver to run the signal through. Ps3 -> Receiver -> TV. the other option would be to use the hdmi for video and the optical for audio, the downside to that would be that there would be no sound coming from the tv, just the surround sound system. Receiver <- Ps3 -> TV. Hope that helps.

3. RXV2300

RXV2300 Regular member

Well, my reciever is fully digital can go up to 6.1
    I have Yamaha RXV-2300 but it isn't HDMI so forget the idea of connecting hdmi from PS3 to reciever.
    But my TV does have optical out so how would do this set up.

4. canuckerz

canuckerz Regular member

I would hook it up like this PS3 --(HDMI)--> TV --(Optical)--> Receiver. there shouldn't be any cons to using this as you wont loose the audio from the TV itself where you would if u ran the optical and the hdmi cords separately; both comming from the ps3.